Virtual VP

I couldn’t seem to get VVP working on my Vista system. But then I realized that
I have the driver for a KeySpan USB to 4 port serial adapter installed. Indeed my Davis VPP
uses Com Port 8 because of this driver. The KeySpan is NOT attached to the notebook any more.

Must I delete this driver?

I tried again to get VPP working on my system.

N8VBvCOM installs fine, and shows up in my device manager.
However the Micro____ USB to UART driver (installed by Davis software)
becomes crippled according to the device manager.

No packets are ever received from from the USB Davis Envoy.

All works fine without VPP + N8VBvCOM using com port 8.

Do you have a serial or USB weatherlink? If USB is it set to the USB Expresss mode? If so I think you will need to reset it to normal mode, see the faq http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/31666

By default, the N8VBvCOM driver creates virtual serial ports COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9, COM16, COM17, COM18, and COM19. If the davis usb to serial driver is creating its virtual serial port on COM8, then there is a conflict that will make N8VBvCOM, the davis driver, or possibly both very unhappy. There is a configurator program installed with N8VBvCOM that you can use to change which port numbers it creates its virtual serial ports on. I would try running that, and use COM10/COM20 as a pair in place of COM8/COM18.

Steve
SoftWx

Still no Joy.

No data ever received from the Davis Envoy USB. I gotta be missing something easy???

The surest way for me to see what’s wrong is for you to send me an email with the following screenshots:

1. the communications configuration dialog for WeatherLink configured the way that WeatherLink will successfully communicate directly to the VP console/envoy

2. the communications setup dialog you currently have for VirtualVP (which isn’t working)

3. If VirtualVP is talking to the console okay, but you can’t get WeatherLink to talk to VirtualVP, send the communications configuration dialog for WeatherLink configured for trying to connect to VirtualVP.

4. the N8VBvCOM Configurator screen

send these to steve at softwx dot com

Steve
SoftWx

Will do Steve.

I don’t use weatherlink only WD

do you have the baud rate set correct in wd?

19,200 is that correct?

I should point out, in case I wasn’t clear, that WD works fine - without VVP.

I have a strong feeling that the Keyspan driver is at the root of this, and I need to figure
out how to get it off my system. It takes a single USB port and creates 4 serial ports. Thus
the reason WD uses com 8 to communicate with my Envoy. This even when the USB->serial
device is no longer attached :frowning: All of these software-created ports is a red flag.

Before I take a bunch of screen shots, I’m going to try and get this off my system. I already have tried.
but its time to root it out.