VirtualVP with WeatherLinkIP - Status ?

Hi,

is anyone using VirtualVP with WeatherLinkIP ? i.e., testing the Beta version ?

If so, do you know the current status ?

Regards
Dave

have you tried contacting the author first via email?

Yes !

I’ve been testing this on my XP machine for a few weeks. In my case, I’m running the IP version on this computer and connecting to a WeatherLinkIP console 40 minutes away. 8)

I’ve even managed to run the regular VirtualVP version on this same computer at the same time to connect (USB) to my own weather station here. I’ve only encountered one issue with the IP version (it’s significant), which I’m told will involve a code rewrite to fix. But I’m fairly optimistic that this will get sorted in the coming weeks and months.

Hi Kevin,

thanks a lot for the update.

I’m running it too, running into the same problem as you I expect, as Steve told me about the re-write needed to fix it too. As it had been a while since I managed to “talk” to him, I just wondered if others were having the same problem or were aware of if the fix was one the horizon.

Apart from the current problem, which as you say, is pretty significant. I’m impressed with it so far. I’m running it with WeatherLink on one emulated com port, Virtual Weather Station on another and having WeatherLink IP post to the we site every minute. When things do work, then they work very well and VirtualVP does everything that I’d hoped for.

Hopefully, the gremlins get ironed out soon,

Regards
Dave

I’m still anxious to get the IP feature completed. Unfortunately the problem I encountered put me well past the time I had set aside to work on it. I’ve had to scale back the time I spend on it to take care of other demands on my time. I expect to be able to put more focus on it very soon now, so I’m hoping to get that last glitch resolved within the next two weeks.

Steve
SoftWx

Great !

Thanks a lot for the update Steve,

regards
Dave

I’ve made some changes in the IP support of VirtualVP (to support the IP data logger), and I think I may finally have things working as they should. If you were using the earlier beta version of VirtualVP, and you consistently saw the problem VirtualVP was having with the IP communications, send me an email (steve at softwx dot com). I will send a few of the beta testers this new version. If this works for them too, then I’ll bundle this up as an official release.

Steve
SoftWx

Steve does this new version fix the problem with the old one where we have to leave VVP running long enough to get in step before starting the weather apps? I still have a two minute gap between starting VVP and WD.

Stuart

I’m not sure if you’re talking about VVP always downloading the entire data logger everytime VVP starts, or WD having to download the entire archive each time it starts when connected to VVP. I haven’t made any changes for the former, but I have for the later. If you’re talking about the former, that may be caused by the compatibility feature and stricter security in Vista (if you’re running Vista). I would try installing VirtualVP into a location where your user account has full rights (a folder on your desktop for instance) rather than under Program Files, and see if that makes that problem go away.

I will be making VVP more Vista aware, but I first want to get this IP support out there first since a number of people have been waiting patiently for it.

Steve
SoftWx

Sorry Steve I meant the problem of WD searching the entire archive when it starts (if started too soon after VVP), do I gather you have made changes for this? I run W2K btw…

Stuart

Is that with an IP or regular logger?

Its a VVP problem which I have only had using a virtual com port to talk to VVP. VVP itself is connected to a real serial logger.

Stuart

Check out http://www.softwx.com/weather/virtualvp.html :smiley: