New Setup Help

I just purchased a Davis Vantage Pro2. I also purchased a Wireless Envoy to communicate with a new Windows XP computer and I’m having a difficult getting everything setup.

Equipment
Windows XP computer with only USB ports
USB to RS232 Adapter (purchased from SoftWx that uses the Prolific chipset)
Wireless Envoy

Software
Weatherlink 5.8.3
USB to Serial drivers that came with above USB to RS232 adapter
(To be used later - VitualVP, N8VBvCom Driver (not installed yet), VWS)

The first problem I’m having is getting the Weatherlink software to communicate with the Wireless Envoy (and ISS) through the USB to RS232 adapter. Since this is a new setup I don’t know where the problem is located (Envoy, adapter or setup). If I go to the device manager in Windows XP to the LPT and COM ports devices it shows the USB to RS232 adapter is working properly and shows that it is using the com4 port (note it says Com3 is in use by another device). When I try and setup the Envoy in the communications setting in Weatherlink it cannot communicate with the Envoy. I tried the Auto Detect option to let it discover the the Envoy but it comes back and says it cannot be found. So where is the problem (Envoy, adapter, setup)? The Envoy beeps twice when I install the batteries as the manual describes it will do during the start-up self test. I don’t see any lights on the Envoy (I don’t think it has any but it is new to me). The Envoy is not warm to the touch like most computer equipment would be but I know this is a low power device so that may be normal (I am using the AC adapter and the adapter is not warm either) . I’ve rebooted several times since installing everything FYI.

Any ideas? I’m sure there is a simple solution but right now I’m stumped. Thanks!!

I know you are using AC, but do you have batteries in the Envoy?

Yes I have batteries - thus the two beeps from the self test at start-up when I insert the batteries. Good question because with my luck it would be something that trivial.

Did you get a loopback connector with your weatherlink? That’s like a short piece of phone wire with a cap on the non connector end. If so have you tried that test?

I tried the loopback test last night - it said it could not find anything. This would seem like it would point to either something in Windows XP or to the USB to RS232 adapter.

Agreed. I assume loopback should work with a USB Serial, and if it isn’t then there’s a problem with something other than the envoy, need to fix that first.

SOLVED!!! - The USB to RS232 was bad. Went to Best Buy and got their Dynex brand which uses Prolific drivers and it worked the first time.

Thanks for everyone’s help!!