Anemometer mast question

Like so many posters here, I’ve found the chain link fence toprail nearly ideal for a mast - 2 sections planted in concrete would yield about 17.5’ of mast - plenty for me. I was exploring Lowe’s today and came upon a possibility. Schedule 80 PVC 1.25" fits over the metal toprail snugly, which would increase rigidity. Question is, does adding this PVC outer layer also reduce the mast’s lightning exposure, or does the metal underneath still “shine” through? Thanks for helping a forum newbie out. I’m waiting on a credit for a POS Oregon unit so I can get a Davis (can’t wait!!) This PVC skin seems like a win/win, but would like some more experienced opinions.
Thanks, John

Lightning is not the main thing that I watch out for. Static electricity is. OK that is what lightning is. But most folk don’t know that static is generated even during a clear sky. And nope, that little bit of plastic is not enough to protect you. If in doubt, ground it. :slight_smile:

Mark

Does it really help? Seems to me that it also increases wind resistance, adds a lot of high mass if you use it all the way up, and is in itself pretty floppy, so I wouldn’t bet that it doesn’t actually flex more in the wind than bare top rail. The best is if you can attach the top rail to a 4x4 post for maybe 4 to 6 feet at the base.

I see the point about increased wind profile and I am going to ground, just thought the PVC might lessen the lightning risk. My plan is to offset both pipe joints to lessen the weakest part of the toprail (the toprail joint will have a little play.) I also plan on setting a 12’ 4x4 so at least a foot or so above the joints of both pipes can be attached. I’m hoping that using a compression sleeve for the PVC joint would still allow me to separate the pipe sections if the occasion ever called for accessing the sensor. Thanks for the replies thus far.