WD QT4 10.37k-b02 datalogger read sync issues

Build 02 seems even more stable. I am running into multiple sets of hangs where data is coming down the serial port but WD is not picking it up. If you look at http://www.n7dq.com/weather/WX-Status.php at the bottom of the table you will see that stats for what I call VP Read Stale Count. This is taken from the testtags.php data for datareceivedcount and count the number of times where that number stays the same, I see the counter stay the same on WD as well during these times. Now today, I have seen this number jump from 27 to 43 and the only weather going on is high winds.

No errors are showing up in programerrorlog.txt.

Is there anything I can provide to help with programming in this area?

Davis Pro VPII - Serial Data Logger

I am working on testing other functionality and if there is anything specific you would like tested let me know.

Mike - N7DQ

Update: currently I have a hang, no changes to the gui for any of the values (wind, temp, etc.). The Data Received and Data Quality lites are both blinking. Though when I do a view I see a data stream using the viewer I see:

LOOP 55
sZ	

LOO?

Mike - N7DQ

Mike,
I suggest to go back the the previous version that seemed to work well for you.

Brian,
I believe you put the new readDavis function in this build,
It seems the VP data logger behaves differently depending on the type serial or usb.

It might be good to make the difference when oening the serial port, it is ttySx for serial datalogger and ttyUSBx for usb datalogger.

Yves

yes, i could add option for to use the new or old read function

Yves, Brian,

Of all the versions this one is the best, they keep getting better. I was seeing hangs before but could not quantify them or actually document them until now. That was the purpose of the data I am collecting. I guess I am collecting weather data and data on how WD performance on Linux and I hope that is helping you.

WD is a great product.

Mike - N7DQ

HI
have to head out today…
so, its actualy better now than it was? (so I dont need to panic to get an update out before I have to head out (in 5 minutes!))

No Brian do not panic. Have a good weekend, well what is left of it for you any way.

Mike - N7DQ

I think the data hangs are actually about the same in frequency and length, but I wanted to get you some good data as to how big an issue this really was. I hate saying there is a problem without data to back it up. I can’t tell if the hangs are related to weather events and that seems odd that they might be but it could happen. I guess it depends on how Davis is really handling the data communication process.

I am using the latest firmware 1.82 from Davis for my Envoy and the upgrade from 1.81 had no impact on the hangs.

Let me know when you get out the release and I will be happy to test.

I have been fighting the barometer setting since the firmware update and finally got it settled down. The firmware upgrade seemed to have wiped my settings so I had to reset the barometer settings. It took two weeks, one due to travel and another week just waiting for the right time to make the settings.

Mike - N7DQ

try
http://www.weather-display.com/WeatherDQT.tar.gz

not sure I can do many more uploads, as I am approaching my sat internet connection Max data cap (will cost me more as I go over that)

(people get all these updates for free)

Brian,

I am willing to help by setting up a mirror site. I would need to check into it a bit, for the next three years I have fairly reasonable bandwidth non-limitation.

This is one reason I did donate since I have your software to be very useful and I have been trying to help answer questions by also donating time.

Mike - N7DQ

a mirror site wont help, thanks though
(its the bandwidth used uploading the large size (compared to the windows version (I will have to stop updating that too until I can get more donations to cover my internet costs) of the Linux and Mac versions updates which is blowing my monthly satellite data cap and costing me more money)

Brian,

Understood. I’ll look at my budget and see what I can do to help. Wish those that use the Linux releases would jump on the band wagon and pay up. It may be free but it does cost money and folks do not understand that concept.

Wonder, with every change to you update the libraries or just the primary executables in the wdisplay directory. I now the weatherd executable is large so that does not help and is probably the biggest part of the package load.

Mike - N7DQ

I am not looking for any more donations from people who have already donated to the cause though :wink:

Brian,

I finally got a break today at work – in Chicago again this week – and installed b03. Three issues, not critical.

1. Still getting zombie processes but that has been normal.
  2. The Real FTP setting have to be resaved after a restart or uploads of html and testtags.php do not happen. The information is saved between restarts but for some reason just does not start the uploads.
  3. Which is brand new behavior and right now does not seem to be causing an impact is an error message: “ser_read error Resource temporarily unavailable” which comes in groups of 10 or 20 every 5 to 10 minutes at this time.

I will give you an update tomorrow morning after running 12 hours.

Keep up your efforts here and if you need any help with anything let me know.

Mike - N7DQ

ser_read error Resource temporarily unavailable

that seems to show up when not a usb to serial in use
Yves might know more on that one

I need to check on the FWI updating you reported too…

re the real ftp thing…do you have the main internet switch on in the connection setup?

Yes the main ftp switch is always on. On the next restart I will monitor the ftplog.txt file to see what happens as the ftp may be working but not showing up on the console.

Had seen the ‘ser_read’ messages under b02 but only just as the WD was exiting. In one hour I have seen 4700+ plus ser_read messages but they do not seem to be impacting performance and information flow.

Now for some reason my website is not coming up. Normally great response but the provider must be having problems. Always fun.

Regards,
Mike - N7DQ

ser_read device busy may happen sometime. the VP seem to be very slow answering request. The important is to use the DEBUG stuff , if you remember. export DEBUG=
check the frame you receive are always the same length.
for the ftp stuff, i am working on it, thanks Brian I now can program into pascal. I’ll play a bit with the forks soon.

Yves

After 21.5 hours the system seems to be running fine. I have gotten 60k+ ser_read messages. Tonight I will restart with the debug mode on for a bit and see what I get and push the results here or send zipped file to Brian.

Mike - N7DQ

Brian,

Well, as of last night I cannot get WD to sync with the data logger. I tried the Windows release and it is able to connect just fine (my version has expired but I can see the sync happen before the program exits.) Essentially, I do not get any syncing at all. No changes to the system or WD configuration, it just happened out of the blue. I have tried changing serial ports, reset on the Envoy, and multiple other things but no success. I have tried going back several releases and again no luck. I am getting data down the serial line but no syncing.

I would recommend that if WD does not sync, it does not send data to FTP, CWOP, WU or Mysql as that just sends false data to those sites. I think this would be a good mod to put into place.

Mike - N7DQ

yes, that is a good suggestion, only send data if connected to the station ok

re the syncing problem, it could be the baud rate?
(highest baud rate expected)
Yves has sent me the latest version to compile of consolewd
but I have not had time the last 2 days, as have been stuck behind a trench digger, digging 350m of trench for a power cable

things are back to more normal today
so I will update to that latest version