not working like I thought

I acquired my wife’s XP computer and put it down the basement. I am using the serial datalogger and the VP2 Envoy and it works fine. I thought I would like to run both Weatherlink 5.8.2 and Weather Display at the same time as each has something the other doesn’t and it would solve a host of issues for me.

Anyway, I downloaded and installed the drivers that were recommended, rebooted the computer, downloaded and installed the latest Virtual VP. That connected to the Envoy with no problems, but the problem was

I can’t get either the WeatherLink or Weatherdisplay to connect to te Virtual Vp. I think I followed the directions. I selected one of the ports available that the Virtualvp defaulted to and then set the other software to that port… i.e. com 16 was a choice. It would connect. I get the “port busy or not something or else.” so then I tried any port other than com 1 and still couldn’t get it to cooperate.

I am going to bet it is a lot easier than I am making it.

I figure if I could get one software program to connect, the other would follow suit.

IIRC you have two connections? These PC’s are all on the same one, same router - right?

VirtualVP talks to the various weather programs via a two ended virtual serial connection. By default, the pairs are COM6-COM16, COM7-COM17, COM8-COM18, and COM9-COM19. Also by default, VirtualVP connects to the high numbered ends of these pairs. So, to connect a weather program to VirtualVP, you would configure that program (WeatherLink for instance) to COM6, COM7, COM8, or COM9.

Steve
SoftWx

Did you also install one of the virtual COM port driver sets (like N8VBvCom Driver) and do the setup to map ports with it.
That allows you to create port-pairs like COM15:COM5, COM16:COM6, COM17:COM7, COM18:COM8

VirtualVP uses the high numbered COM ports (COM15, COM16, COM17, COM18 in the above example), and WD, Weather Link etc use the corresponding low numbered ports (COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8) as the serial port.

Hope this helps…
Best regards,
Ken

Sorry Steve… posting same answer at same time :slight_smile:

ok… giving it a second shot… right now it is down there updating the Virtual unit.

I will then set the individual programs for example, WL to com 6 and WD to com 7 and see how it behaves. I did upload the drivers and install them and get back to you as soon as I get back from down there…

ok… that solved the problem.

I am going to give it a run and see if I want to keep it. let you know…