Anybody Seeing Bad Fonts?

I just purchased a Linux license, so now it’s time to start bellyaching. :slight_smile:

The fonts in the data section are decent, but instead of a degree symbol, there’s a question mark.

The fonts in the graphs are tiny and extremely ugly.

In Setup, changing the font has no effect on the display. The values entered are saved, but ineffective.

Hello LaneLester

What version are you running? I am using 2.9, and the degree symbols are degree symbols on mine. My graph look ok to me(except for the cutoff :slight_smile: )

What version are you running? I am using 2.9, and the degree symbols are degree symbols on mine.

Thank you for posting that screen print. It looks just fine, and mine looks nothing like that. The fonts are smaller and uglier. I’m running 2.9 on a Libranet 2.8.1 system. This is a very up-to-date flavor of Debian Linux.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
That is odd, because I am running mepis, also a debian based distro.

I wonder why you don’t have the degree symbol like I do.
On my graph image where did you change the font at?

This is the only other linux WD webpage I know of, http://jupiter.raubal.co.uk/
Chris

That is odd, because I am running mepis, also a debian based distro. I wonder why you don't have the degree symbol like I do. On my graph image where did you change the font at?

In both “Setup” and “Graph Setup” you can get to a Font setting. But it has no effect on my system.

You can see the question mark problem at my page:
http://webpages.charter.net/llester/wdisplay/LanesWS.htm

I’m thinking I don’t have the font installed that is called for by the WD program, but I don’t know what it is or how to get it.

What desktop environment are you using?

Chris

KDE 3.1.5

KDE 3.1.5

Hmmm… So am I. If it is just a font issue, that is easily changed, what font are you using, for KDE?

Chris

If it is just a font issue, that is easily changed, what font are you using, for KDE?

Sans 12. It sure ain’t the one that WD is using! :?

I just found where the WD fonts are at (i just thought, the program has its own settings :oops: ) Go under setup, general colour/misc, then set program colors. There should be a setting for font. I am currently using courier [adobe] which must be the default. You might try that???

Chris

I just found where the WD fonts are at (i just thought, the program has its own settings :oops: ) Go under setup, general colour/misc, then set program colors. There should be a setting for font. I am currently using courier [adobe] which must be the default. You might try that????

Chris, I should have mentioned that. Brian told me about that menu item; the only problem is it doesn’t do anything. Brian then confirmed that font selection is broken in the Linux version. So WD evidently uses some system font; yours looks nice and mine looks ugly!

Even though you see Courier as the setting, that is not what you’re getting because your WD display font is a sans serif proportional font, while Courier is a serif monospace font.

So is the font used in WD based on what font WD is using or what font KDE is using? Either way, you should be able to change the font or donwload the correct one.

Chris

So is the font used in WD based on what font WD is using or what font KDE is using? Either way, you should be able to change the font or donwload the correct one.

I think the font is some unknown default because I don’t have the font installed that is being called for somewhere. It’s not the KDE font, and it’s not the WD font (at least not the one selected in the setup). Although KDE is the window manager on my system, gdm is the display manager. I’m talking to some other Libranet (my distro) users to see if that might be where the problem lies.

To see what I mean about the font, there is a screen print at:
http://webpages.charter.net/llester/wdisplay/LanesWS.htm[/i]

You are right that is quite ugly. :frowning: