! wire speed unit

Can anyone recommend a 1 wire wind speed/direction head unit that is ok to use with WD.
My WM918 has destroyed it’s reed relay for the 4th in 2 years. The January gales finished it off, a 42mph gust was the last straw.
I’ve already dumped the humidity unit for a 1 wire replacement.

Thanks.

Hi marion,
I’ve just been through the same issue. There does not seem to be a 1-wire anemometer and windvane unit available at the moment. I know Eric at Hobby Boards is working on a replacement but not sure where he is up to. I didn’t wait and bought an Inspeed Windworks kit from the USA which includes the Vortex anemometer and E-Vane direction unit and a processor box with a USB connection to the PC. This has the advantage of placing little additional load on the computer CPU which, I find, is pretty loaded by running a 1-wire station on WD already. This gear has a reputation for very good quality but it is a bit pricey (I live in Australia). Search for “Inspeed” in Google and you’ll find them. Also, search the forum on this. There are a few others using Inspeed gear.
Good luck
w0mbat

I agree with you about the lack of wind speed devices available, it seems to be down to Dallas having discontinued the DS2423 counter chip.

My main issue with the wind speed head is the use of glass reed relays. My WM-918 has been in use for 5 years or so, since then I have replaced the reed at lest 4 times. Normally the moving part breaks off due to metal fatigue. I have even tried using a heavy duty type but even this failed after 1 years use, ending it’s life during a recent storm.

I don’t really have any confidence replacing the WM-918 with another magnetic reed type. It looks as though I will have to do without the speed element.

Thanks for the reply.
Marion.

There are a number of happy Inspeed vortex users on the Forum.

The only non-reed solution I’ve heard of is the Gill Windsonic, but for the price of one of those you could have a couple of Vortex’s on the mast, a couple in the workshop, a stack of spare parts and still have a lot of change left over…