Please will someone make a tutorial for correcting bad data?!

I’ve searched through these forums, and the wiki many times trying to find clear and consice information for correcting data in WD - to no avail. I have also posted asking for help but have never been able to get the right results. I notice that there are many threads from users seeking this info, but they all get different advice, and many never get their issue solved. It seems to be a very complicated issue!

Since I started using WD last summer, I have had several days with erroneous data, mostly rainfall data which I have never been able to correct. This bad data then makes monthly, and yearly totals incorrect too. Last night I recorded about 70mm of rainfall above the actual 20 or so mm that fell, and once again I am faced with the frustration of backing up my WD folder, and blindly experimenting with everything I can think of or read about which may correct the data. However, once again I just can’t get anything to stick.

This seems to be an issue for lots of WD users, and it really needs to be covered by an in depth, step by step tutorial which everyone can follow. I hope that someone might be able to put one together, and post it here or somewhere where we can all find it. Or maybe there is already one out there that I haven’t been able to find. I know there is a section in the wiki on correcting data, but it seems to be out of date, not detailed enough, and I can’t get it to work.

At least, maybe we can use this thread for sharing tips on data correction, and discussing the issue so that we can all learn more about it.

Just thought I would link Brian’s FAQ into this thread as a basis for discussion.

Depending on the issue, I usually correct any rainfall issues within Control Panel > Offsets and Initial Rain.

I then use the “Adjust all rainfall totals by this amount” box. In the case of today, I had a fault on the rain gauge, so after testing it and tipping 8 times, I just put -1.6 and it removed this amount from today, Monthly and Yearly totals.

For bigger issues, I stop WD and go into the logfiles and manually change, remembering to do a Action > Convert logfiles to the month file.

For the mysql tables, I have to do these manually with an update script.

Hope this helps …

Lucid

Lucid has it correct
(then also click on recreate last 31 days data file)

also to correct all time records, for rain totals, do that via action, reset selected all time records (do that before the convert logfile to data file as WD will re scan for all time records), or action, enter my own all time records