VirtualVP support for WeatherLinkIP - need beta testers

I’ve added support to VirtualVP for TCP/IP connections to the console. This will allow VirtualVP to connect to the WeatherLinkIP (the TCP/IP version of the VP data logger). I’m not sure if anyone wants to do this, but it also allows you to chain a VirtualVP on one computer to a VirtualVP on another computer.

I am also interested in finding out if WLIP owners want a feature in VirtualVP that instructs VVP to release the IP connection with the console once per minute for a few seconds to give the console a chance to upload to the Davis WeatherLink website.

I can take 3 beta testers. Email me at support at softwx.com so I will have you email address to send you the files. I’m finishing up my testing, and should be able to send it out tomorrow.

Steve
SoftWx

If I’m understanding correctly; does this mean that the VirtualVP setup that I use on my Met PC with all the Davis data being downloaded, could then be accessed directly as though the Davis data was loading onto another VirtualVP loaded on another PC? If so this would have some really good implications for flexibility etc…

Unfortunately I don’t run WLIP so can’t help with your beta testing (I run a serial setup)

Hi Steve,

Interesting to read about you upcoming version. I’ve been waiting for the feature to directly connect to my IP logger even if it works fine at the moment. Also it sounds nice to be able to share your weather readings to other computers running VVP.

About your question regarding a VVP to release its connection I think that might be a good idea for users of weatherlink.com although I do not use it myself. I’d prefer, if you are developing this 1 minute release, that you make it as an optional setting :slight_smile:

Looking forward to next version. I’ll mail you regarding beta testing.
Kind Regards and thank you
/Alex

Munro - Since I don’t have an IP datalogger, I am testing IP support by connecting the new VirtualVP on my development machine to one of the TCP/IP ports of a running instance of VirtualVP on another computer. Since VirtualVP acts like a console to programs that connect to it, VirtualVP can connect to another VirtualVP as its data source. Technically, you could even do it on a single computer so you could get 8 serial connection instead of 4, but I’m not sure what you’d do with 8!

Labbs - yes, the disconnect feature would be an option you could enable or disable.

Sent you an email a few minutes ago. :smiley: