Moving WD from XP to Win7

I have just moved WD from my old XP computer to a new Win7 64 bit computer. It’s working, but I have some questions:

1: I used to start WD with Windows using WDStartdelay. Isn’t that working with Win7? WDStartdelay and WD are not starting when I start Windows.
2: If WDStartdelay is NOT working, what’s the best way to start WD with Windows?
3: Since we have to start WD with “Run as an Administrator” I always get a window asking if I want to make changes to Windows and have to press Yes. Is it possible to turn this off for WD without turning off for all programs. Specially if I’m able to start WD with Windows I can’t have that box stopping WD from starting until I press Yes.

hello…

To Start WD when windows starts do this:

On your Main WD screen at the top click on “Setup” Tab
Now go down to where it says “Launch when Windows Starts” and click “Yes”

That should do it.

…chris

No, it does not :frowning: That’s what I used running XP, but nothing happens when I do the same running Win7!

Right click on the executable in the Wdisplay directory (WeatherD.exe) and select ‘Properties’. On the ‘Compatibility’ tab at the bottom there is a selection to ‘Run as Administator’. Check that box, then select ‘Apply’ and then click on OK and see what that does.

As I said in my first post, I am running as an administrator. But it does NOT start with Windows.

I am able to start WDStartdelay with Windows now. But I’m still not able to start WD with Windows startup or from WDStartdelay. When the timer in WDStartdelay expires, it just exits without starting WD

Any ideas? This was working fine running XP!

I’m running WD on a Windows 7 64-bit system and I’m not running as administrator…

In Win 7 your best bet is to use the Task Scheduler to start WD. If you have set it to run as admin using right click, properties, on the weatherd.exe file then the task scheduler will start it without any popup (or see above, maybe it doesn’t need to be admin, don’t know). You can set a start delay in there too, but you may find that scheduler takes care of that by not starting it until windows has “done its thing”. There are many online resources for Task Scheduler, but if you need step by step post here and I will create one later.

So, are you logged in as Administrator? There’s a difference between your logged in user and Administrator, even if you THINK you have administrative rights as that user you don’t.

But I’ll stop trying to help as evidently it isn’t taking…

c:/programdata/windows/startmenu/programs/startup

I have W7 and WD does start up automaticly
using the setup, start when windows starts up (reset that too)

Yes, I am!

Are you using WDStartdelay?
I have tried both with and without WDStartdelay, but it will not start (it starts fine when I start it manually)! But even if I will be able to get it to start with Windows, what about the box where I have to press Yes because I’m running as an Administrator?

I am not using wdstartdelay
(you would need to set that to start when windows starts)

if you give WeatherD.exe full control (right mouse click, security) that will help with the do you want to run…

but you can also turn off UAC (slide to the bottom) to a degree under windows 7 easily
(click on the link on the do you want to run to get to that setup)

I found that even set to “run as admin”, and logged in as admin, it still gave the popup with UAC set to the default level. If you don’t want to turn off UAC then do what I suggested above, start it with the task scheduler because that will start it without the popup.

Thanks, I will look at that tomorrow (it’s almost midnight here…)

After experimenting a lot I have found the following:
If I check “Run as Administrator” I am not able to start WD with Windows.
If I uncheck “Run as Administrator” WD starts fine with Windows.

Brian: Is it important to check “Run as Administrator”? What may happen if I don’t check it?

not recommended, cause cause problems with updating files (e.g ini files)
otherwise use task sheduler

(its all about invoker level (I have found a way to set that higher, will look into that soon)