WD on LinkStation

Hi,
I have recently purchased a WMR200 and WD on behalf of my Sailing Club. We want to have a near real time Weather Page on our website, with live information at the Club from the console.

So far so good. I have installed WD for Linux and got it all working on Ubuntu 8.1, whith uploads to the website and WDLive installed and working there.

On an ongoing basis, I first thought that I would then have to configure an old PC and leave this running at the Club 24x7. Not in itself an issue,however not sure how long the PC will last etc.

I have seen mention of Buffalo Technology LinkStation Pro, which I believe is a NAS device that can be hacked to run a version of Linux and act as a small footprint, low power and cost consumption server for receiving data from the console (WMR200) and effecting the near real time FTP upload to our website.

Am I correct in that assumption? If so is there a guide anywhere for how you configure this? My technical knowledge was exhauseted in what I wrote above. Can the data be then taken from the Linkstation and used on a PC for yearly analysis of recorded data etc, something we might like to do as we move forwards.

Sorry for the level of this post, which is probably at basic plus.

Best … David