Weather Warnings and UI-View UI-NWS

Does anyone know how to receive the weather warnings from your local NWS office (that come in through rotate.aprs.net:14580 using UI-NWS (a UI-VIEW add-on) and get them to pass from the internet to RF over the air? I heard that the warnings are in the form NNNWWW where NNN is weather office abbreviation and WWW is warning type. I don’t seem to be doing it right and I need step by step instructions. Specifically, I am looking for igate.ini and UI-NWS configurations. For Chicago, I chose to gate OBJECTS from LOTWSW for winter storm warning and chose Cook Co. IL zone and county in UI-NWS. What else do I need to configure? Is the port correct for rotate.aprs.net? Is rotate.aprs.net a server that passes these messages? Does it pass watches, warnings, and advisories or just warnings to UI-View?

Thanks.

can you access your igate.ini file from the file drop down menu?

I’d say that’d be the easiest way. In fact I just tried it for trial and error. It wasn’t pickup up every single message that flew by, but it was transferring from Inet to RF using the function of just editing the igate.ini through the file menu and putting in that station you are looking for. For example:

PQRWSW>APRS,qAS,WXSVR:
:NWS_WARN :200730z,WINTER_STORM,ORZ4 {JNSHB
18:57:25T PQRWSW>APRS,TCPIP,KD7BJG-1,N0MTC,WIDE2-1* Port=1 :
:NWS_WARN :200730z,WINTER_STORM,ORZ4 {JNSHB

I just put PQRWSW and selected all and it started working. As you can see where I put my digi in there from Inet to RF. There was no need to mess with UI-NWS. In fact UI-NWS doesn’t really do much until it receives the message from UI-View through the igate. I had trouble using the filtered port as well of 14580 which you are using as well until I did a bit of searching. Refer to: http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/get_nws_shapefiles.htm

There he mentions putting in the extra-log-on text field, the filters, t/n. Here are my filters: filter t/n/m/350

Even though it is ranged, you’ll still receive all of the NWS advisories. I wasn’t receiving any using 14580, i thought there was a problem with the installation that I even reinstalled until I saw a bit more in to the fine print of that site adding the t/n worked like a charm.

Matthew Heiser - KD7BJG

it might be best to change from t/n/m/500 to t/n m/500, i stopped seeing weather stations while yet seeing nws still. this helps as i now see both.

Worked like a charm! Thanks!