100% CPU Useage with Canon ES8400 Camcorder and Hauppauge WINTV PVR PCI II

Hello All.

first of all the equipment I am trying to use , which gives me 100% CPU shown in Task Mangaer at All times when connectted is my Canon ES8400 Camcorder (as a webcam)…and the TV Capture card is a Hauppauge WINTV PVR PCI II Card. The drivers for the capture card are dated from 12-14-2005 and are the 2.0.35.23348 Drivers.

when the 2 are connected via The video cable (Analog?..Yellow Cable)…I didnt connect the white cable because I dont require any Sound for the live webcam page …I then go to my Task manager /Performance Tab and look at the CPU Useage and it stays at 100% all the time. I also tried using a S-Video cable from camcorder to back of capture card and same thing happens…100% CPU Useage

This Happened last night when I decided to swap out my original Logitech pro 4000 webcam…with the Canon/hauppauge configuration, but after realizing my CPU Useage was staying at 100%…I then switched back to my original Logitech pro400 for time being.

The picture quality when using the Canon camcorder as my live webcam/webcam images is real nice, BUT I dont think allowing the CPU Useage at 100% at all times would be very good for the PC, so didnt leave it connected long and swapped back to logitech till someone or Myself can figure out how to tame this down a bit and not get 100% CPU Useage at all times.

so…My question’s are:

anyone else using a Hauppauge wintv pvr pci II Card with their webcamera/camcorder run into this type of problem and have any idea’s how to or what to adjust?

when I untick the “Keep Live” button…it does bring the CPU Useage does go down a little bit, but this is not a good fix for me because when unticking that box…my live webcam no longer works…only my webcamimage.jpg is still updated and my time lapse movies are still made.

I read in a few other post’s Brian stating something about this could be a driver issue and wondered if anyone else using a Hauppauge card same as mine or similiar knew of a better driver or the best driver to use??

also tried changing some settings within the Hauppauge setup windows but usually they revert back to where they were set, after going back in those windows and rechecking my settings again.I was trying to set the 720 size down a bit to say for example 320 or 352…but always reverts back to 720 size on it’s own…pretty strange.

if anyone can replie back with any idea’s or thoughts…would much appreciate it.

for now…I have reverted back to the Logitech webcam…Thanks…Chris

What process is using all the CPU?

hello niko…

I will double check once I reconnect the cannon to the hauppauge again for more testing,… But I believe it was webcamcapture.exe.

another question:

is it possible it has something to do with my ONBOARD Video Grapghics? what I mean is this…since that weather PC only has onboard graphics and not an actually AGP or PCI Video card…could this cause the hauppauge card to be needing all this extra CPU Power to keep live and running?

I did try choosing all 4 different types of rendering modes, but those didnt make a difference.

I believe last year when I did this same thing, but on my Upsatirs PC…This 100% CPU Useage didnt occur…either that or I just didnt realize it was occurring at that time, cause I never looked in the task manage back then.

I may also try some testing on the upsatirs pc and run another copy of WD with metar data only and see if it also gives me the 100% CPU problem.

The upsatirs PC also has the same Hauppauge wintv pvr card in it, so testin on this PC wont be a big problem swapping the capture card back and forth from both PC’S. The Upsatirs PC Has the hauppauge basically for watching TV on the screen in this room, which is a pretty cool. I use “Chris TV LITE…With one Add on package”…package 3 and the tv station quality on tthe flat screen monitor is great.

The logitech quickcam pro 4000 webcam is a pretty good qaulity camera, but since no one in house ever uses the camcorder,decided to try and use it for my webcam, as it’s quality is even better…much better… than the logitech.

the weather PC is a dell optiplex260 @ 2.26GHZ-1GHZ RAM-ONBOARDD GRAPHICS AND SOUND-40GB HARD DRIVE-WINXP HOME…has plenty of Power, but not any AGP/PCI video card

Thanks…Chris

I use a tv capture card with WD web cam capture and the cpu use of wdwebcamcapture is around 5 to 6%
i have the composite setting set in the capture card setting and RGB32 set

try changing to that if not set to that

Hello Brian…

Thanks for the reply…

I do have and did have mine set to composite…BUT…Where the heck do I find the setting for RGB32?
Please post a screen shot of your RGB32 Setting window and explain where ho I naivgate to it, to change mine. Also which tv capture card are you using and which camcorder?

another Update from Earlier:
I did connect the Canon camcorder to my Hauppauge card in my other PC (Upstairs Pc with the AGP video card installed in it). Then ran just wdwebcamcapture.exe…without even enabling WD or clientraw Updater…and on this PC the CPU Useage averages out around 70%.

I also Downloaded and installed the most recent drivers for my Hauppauge card from here:

Thank you…Chris

its directly under the composite setting

hello again…

I just checked…and directly under the “Composite” box…is another box with a down arrow to the right side of it and the only 2 choices are “DEFAULT” and also below that is “MPEG-STREAM”

I am using version 8.5…of webcamcapture.exe…what version do you have there?

can you think of any other reason why there may not be an option there for choosing RGB32 ?

clueless…chris

can you post a screen shot?

hello brian…

click here for the screenshot:

http://www.gateway2capecod.com/nexstormscreen.jpg

(open window in full screen for best view of image)

chris

your webcam driver options are different to mine then
so you have a choice of default or MPEG stream

you could try setting a frame rate …
mine is 0.5