Icon clear, although it's cloudy

Why is it that sometimes at nighttime, WD displays a clear icon, when my metar station is reporting overcast conditions?

I would need to be able to try and duplicate
i.e I would need your settings files and the downloaded metar when the problem occurs

how long does it stay like that for?

ok, i managed to duplicte the problem, and have uploaded a fix
build 18 .zip update, ready now

Thanks Brian. I’ll let you know how things work out.

I downloaded the latest zip update and it states that it is build 17, is that the correct one?

you need to have build 18

OK, I had downloaded the main WD install file and that was build 17. Now I’ve downloaded the main .exe file and that is build 18, thanks Brian.

This morning, the problem is still there :frowning:

i was able to duplicate and then fix the problem that was occuring during nighttime, as you reported
but you say this morning…
can you give more information on the current problem?

Hi Brian: The problem as I see it occurs during nighttime, between sunset and sunrise. When I viewed the icon this morning before sunrise, it was clear again, while the metar reported overcast with light snow.

Update: After paying careful attention the past few nights, I have found that this occurence is an on again/off again thing. Sometimes it displays according to the metar, sometimes not, and it does this, as stated before, only between sunset and sunrise.

does it display OK when the web page update has occured?

This icon problem has been an ongoing issue for many of us using WD. For instance, WD, during a steady rain, displayed a partly sunny icon, with the words “overcast-mist-lighning observed” yesterday, while now, being overcast and light rain , its showing a cloudy icon, with the word “dry”…I’m not sure if there is a software fix. I can tell you that there is an array of ticks in the wd program to either untic, tic, or tic an d untic…its kind of a trial and error…

does it display OK when the web page update has occured?

It does not Brian. It is only with these last couple of WD updates that I have noticed this. This did not happen with any previous versions :frowning:

Chris, thanks for you input :slight_smile:

AM1234 , if you could email me the metar file and your settings files and your latest.inf and last31daysdata.inf data files, at the time the problem occurs
thanks

Will do, Brian, thanks. I’ll send them along tonight.

Brain,
Don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I’ve been having the same problem during the winter for years.

When the Metar I have selected says “Night Snow”, the icon in WD and the icon uploaded with my summary image always reverts to “Clear Night”.
Only when I un-check “My stations rain/wind/fog overrides the Metar” does the icon show the “Night Snow” correctly.

This is happening right now, so I have emailed you my settings (as requested above) to possibly help you troubleshoot this.

It does the same on mine, except it is wrong for all conditions day or night, not just night time snow as in Snowman’s case. A clue might be that on mine, when I un-check “My stations rain/wind/fog overrides the Metar”, the icon then becomes the correct one for the metar, but then my stations wind is still overriding the metar with the windy icon, even though the station override is unticked (when my wind threshold setting is met). Also, my summary image no longer shows the extra weather conditions like it use to. It’s as though only part of the station override feature still runs when turned off, and when turned on, it interfears with the metar icon, even when thresholds are not met. I wonder if it has something to do with not having a solar sensor, and somehow that feature (icon from solar) is interfering? Basically, that’s when my icon troubles began…way back when the feature to set the icon from the solar sensor was added. That must of been at least 4 years ago? Most likely, not all users are seeing the exact icon troubles depending on their individual setup. I have lived with it this long because I felt there were far more important matters that Windy needed to address for other’s but as WD seems stable now for most users, perhaps now is a good time to iron this out?

Edit: I’ve included a screenshot a metar with duplicate extra conditions and a text file of the same metar… that’s been happening a lot also, and might possibly be another clue?

KPDX.txt (534 Bytes)

I agree cirrus in that I also feel that Brian has far more important items to address than this. I’ve learned to live with this minor occurrence for years now also. I just thought that when I saw this thread, and it was relevant to my findings also, that I would chime in to help if I can.

And just for troubleshooting sake - I don’t have a solar sensor.

The “night snow” is the only time I get this - if my Metar shows any kind of snow during the day, it all works fine.

note that for the snow icon to show on the main screen, your stations temperature needs to be at or less than the setting you have set for snow threshold in the summary image and icon setup
using snowmans settings and metar file , once I set the outdoor temperature to less than that setting (0C), the snow icon showed up on the main screen OK

Sorry I was late in editing my original post. Here it is again:

It does the same on mine, except it is wrong for all conditions day or night, not just night time snow as in Snowman’s case. A clue might be that on mine, when I un-check “My stations rain/wind/fog overrides the Metar”, the icon then becomes the correct one for the metar, but then my stations wind is still overriding the metar with the windy icon, even though the station override is unticked (when my wind threshold setting is met). Also, my summary image no longer shows the extra weather conditions like it use to. It’s as though only part of the station override feature still runs when turned off, and when turned on, it interfears with the metar icon, even when thresholds are not met. I wonder if it has something to do with not having a solar sensor, and somehow that feature (icon from solar) is interfering? Basically, that’s when my icon troubles began…way back when the feature to set the icon from the solar sensor was added. That must of been at least 4 years ago? Most likely, not all users are seeing the exact icon troubles depending on their individual setup. I have lived with it this long because I felt there were far more important matters that Windy needed to address for other’s but as WD seems stable now for most users, perhaps now is a good time to iron this out?

Edit: I’ve included a screenshot of a metar with duplicate extra conditions and a text file of the same metar… the duplicate conditions problem has been happening a lot, and might possibly be another clue?

KPDX.txt (534 Bytes)