New - WD PHP Tags System. Over 2000 bits of weather data.

Sorry to correct you, but it’s 5Gbytes a year. Still quite a lot. I’m sure a lot of the end ones could be taken out (like mesomaps) as I would be suprised if they would break the arrays used?

I tell you what would be good (as someone who finds the tag list bewildering) is a webpage where you could select individual tags/groups of tags for inclusion in the tags file. Now that would be useful and streamlined to meet most peoples requirements

Ian

I think your maths is wrong :slight_smile: It’s no where near that much! Some WD graphics are bigger than that, and some people have loads of them being uploaded to their site frequently. 5 mins is the schedule I use for generating and uploading my tags file, but this can be set to any schedule you like in WD. The raw tags file is not new. It’s been available from my site for months, and has been in use by others for as long. All that’s changed is the php that puts the tags on your pages!

Good stuff 35mm

Also remember that only the tags that are relevant to your setup will be generated. If you look at the tags reference page, you will see that lots of my tags remain ungenerated, such as lightning, mesomaps, solar etc. Although they are still there, they don't get processed
good point that too :)

Whoopsie, you’re right, almost 500 megabytes per month :oops:

If 500Mb per month gets you worried, you should change your host! :lol: Here’s a little tip that a lot of people don’t know. I do web hosting so I know this. The monthly data transfer that your web host gives you, rarely includes FTP transfer, as that is harder to monitor than http transfer. However, a few hosts do count ftp transfer, so use one that doesn’t. Also I didn’t just tell you you that!

Thanks Brian. I should also add, this system does very little unless you use it with Weather Display! :slight_smile: How long did it take to come up with all those tags? It took me 4 days to copy and past them!

Ian, you could remove tags from the end of the file so long as you don’t break the order. However, as has already been covered in this thread, there is no point, as the file isn’t that big, and doesn’t use too much CPU. If you try it out, you’ll see.

I’m impressed 8O…that is a whole heap of work that you have done there…and I really like the idea. 8)

As a novice web page maker though, I’m still trying to get my head around this to put the volumes upload size into perspective. Given that the overall file size being talked about (the entire 2000 tags) is some 50 kb and by comparison a videolasthour (jpg) is some 180 kb …or a WD banner (mine) is 48kb(every 15 mins)…then there would indeed appear to be merit in doing the upload of the tags at reasonable intervals…upwards of say, every 5 or10 mins without too much detriment to the overall upload totals per month etc…I’m sure that this might even be a better case to argue if one simply cut back on some other upload intervals and balanced one with the other, particularly if you use webcam images a lot as I do…mmm

Well done 35mm, you have given us a another tool in the armoury. Now to have a long think and actually have a go at using it. :wink:

It seems that most have WD Live running on their sites, which updates about once per minute (or at least mine does). So for the rest of the data on your site, 5 minute updates would be the most regular interval that would be necessary. I mean the whole site doesn’t have to be live. You are right though, the tags file isn’t what will consume your monthly data transfer (often wrongly referred to as “bandwidth”). It’s your visitors viewing all those graphics, photos and videos that will do that! The thing is though, in recent years the cost of data transfer has been coming down rapidly, and you can now get a web hosting account that has more space than you can use, and more monthly transfer than you can use, for just a couple of dollars!

Don’t be put off by someone knocking this system before they have even tried it! Try it for your self. If you have any difficulties using it, let me know and I’ll be happy to help you get it working.

I find this system intriguing - thank you for all your work on it! My site is based on the older AJAX Carter Lake templates but I have customized it here and there. I currently upload a lot of WD generated HTML files only because I one one or two stats on pages that use the regular WD tags. I like your system because I can then whittle that down to your one tag file. I am very slowly working on a total site redesign and definitely will look to implement this. Thanks!

Tony

I’ve tried about a dozen times now to upload the file to website and it crashes WD everytime.

need more information
(i.e like running the debug version)

I’ve never ran the debug program before.
Do you shut down your WD just like a regular update?

yes
then it should create a file called WeatherD.elf
in c:\ or where wd is installed
and email me that
(but I have to head out soon)

Ran update as usual. Started the process to upload PHP tags file to server and WD crashed.

Spent 10 minutes so far looking for the file and can’t find it anywhere in my Wdisplay file.
I can find WeatherD.exe & WeatherD.ini but no .elf

I’ve checked my root C:, C:\Wdisplay, C:\Wdisplay\webfiles cannot find it.

Maybe the file isn’t showing up because I guess the program isn’t technically “crashing”.
The CPU usage skyrockets to 100% when the PHP tags file is trying to upload, and everything in WD stalls.
Regular updates, clientraw, etc… After about 10-15 minutes of this, I kill the program through Task Manager.

what speed pc, memory, etc?

2G ram
AMD 2500+ 1.83Ghz

Using Windows XP
Internet connection is 13-14M download - 1.3 to 1.4M Upload speeds.

try removing custom tags from the list until the problem stops maybe (and so then you can pin point the culprit(s)

Hi Rick, sorry to hear about your problem. When the tags file is being generated, it’s normal for the CPU load to go up for a short time while the tags are generated. How long it takes depends on the CPU speed. For most people this causes no problems and only takes a few seconds. It may just be that your CPU is not powerful enough, and can’t cope with the load. I’m running this system with a P4 3.4Ghz CPU, and have had no problems.