Remoting in to your WX pc

I am running vista home premium on my weather pc and remote desktop doesn’t work to remote in from the internet, I do have it working on my network behind my router…what are you all using to remote in if you can’t use microsoft remote desktop…I can’t install anything on my work pc which is where I would like to gain access from…don’t have the knowledge or admin rights to set up a vpn from work to WX PC…I am thinking along the lines of pc anywhere or something similar…would like to find a free program, but don’t mind paying for the software without having to pay a monthly fee to use it…any tips…

Wess

What about using PCanywhere? i got it, but have never used it though, so i cant say how it works. But ive heard from other people that it works allright.

:lol: you’re just following me all over this board…I have no personal experience with pc anywhere…was more so just using that as an example…if it fits the bill I’m not opposed to using it, which is why I asked here…really didn’t know where to post the question…but am open to any suggestions…I will look into pc anywhere…Thanks

Wess

lol…not trying to follow ya. just hit refresh and seen a new post that i could answer. Ive heard its a pretty simple program to use.

UltraVNC, and some other flavors of VNC, can be used with just a browser as a client so no installed client is needed. But, if your router is not set up to allow RD, then VNC isn’t going to work either.

No offense intended…I will look into it, I also think I may be able to get pc anywhere from my work for free…so that may be the ultimate answer…

Niko…I can set my router to allow anything I need to, my concern was what I can’t set on my secured pc at work

Wess, check out logmein.com. I run it from work but you have to be able to allow an active-x program to run. Shoot me a PM tomorrow. I have to be a work at 4am. Hitting the rack now.

–Dave

will do…you should have my work phone # give me a call when you get a free minute…I really don’t know the extent of what I can do on my work pc

wess

If your work PC can “legally” run one of the third party services like logmein or pcanywhere then those are probably your simplest option. Sounds like you could make VNC work to with the browser client too, but that would be more hassle on your weather PC and home network.

Have they got the various VNC’s working with Vista? Last I looked, there were still issue’s.

I love Ultra VNC, used it for years w/XP. It’s very lightweight and works well.

If you can run it, all you need on your work PC is the browser to remote in.

Oops :oops: you are right of course. VNC is most likely not an option.

I’ve been using Windows Live Mesh. Just have it running
on my computers and log-in using live.com account.
Remtotely use or control from home or work or visa versa.

WOW…never heard of it before…got it running on the WX PC and got in from my laptop…looks like a pretty good tool, will have to see if I can get all that active X stuff to install on my work PC…didn’t do a lot of ressearch on it, more like just threw it in and turned it on… :lol:…and it’s free…I can only hope it’s going to stay free…Thanks for the heads up to what looks like a nice addition.

Wess

I think there are better things to come with Live Mesh too Wess.

I have gotten into my WX pc from several other computers using it…BUT…tried it from here at work, and no surprise, it wont work. They told me they have all of rdp services blocked for security…I guess it’s back to “logmein” on this machine, but live mesh on any other…it definately looks promising…

Wess

I’m using TeamViewer from my main PC to operate my WX PC.

It’s very easy to use and I really like it for it’s simplicity.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx