You told me to ask if I had any problems

Daveq has been here most of the day and we made more progress than I think I could have made in a week…THANKS DAVE…due to time constraints he had to leave as we were trying to figure out what is not set right or missing…So I am gonna throw it out to you experts and see if you can tell me what is missing or set wrong…

I know you dont need the “index.php” but added just in case

Thanks in advance…man this program is awesome

Hi
It looks like the < is missing in the start tag <?php

:slight_smile: Krister

At the risk of sounding ignorant…all this php stuff is very new to me…I’m digging through the settings.php file looking for anything that doesn’t look right…where exactly is this missing < in the index.php???

It should be the very first character in your index.html file:

<?php
############################################################################
# A Project of TNET Services, Inc. and Saratoga-Weather.org (WD-USA template set)
#
#   Project:    Sample Included Website Design
#   Module:     sample.php
#   Purpose:    Sample Page
#   Authors:    Kevin W. Reed <[email protected]>
#               TNET Services, Inc.
#
# 	Copyright:	(c) 1992-2007 Copyright TNET Services, Inc.

Might be a lot to do with my problem…I don’t see an index.html file on the server…only the .php file

Force of habit, yes you should edit the index.php file. Sorry about that…

1st line of idex.php … <?php

it has not been updated yet…
http://www.wessb.com/weather/index.php
use view source, in your browser, to see

I like to keep all my files local, ie. on my wd machine, edit the files and then ftp them to the server.

If you need help email me your index.php file, your server address, login name, and password and I will update it for you…

Hi again
I think it is the file Settings.php that is missing the <

:slight_smile: Krister

I did notice that and I changed it, the page loaded with a blank screen at that point…will try putting that back along with the index file…Nor Cal…I typically only edit local files also, but didn’t see it locally, I now have downloaded it to be able to edit…

if WD is creating that file from a template file, then make sure the template file has the < at the start

As much as I understand this, it is creating it from a template…I will have to try to figure out which one though…all of this was just downloaded today

just like Dan said…you just need the "< " to start the script…

My index.php files, both local and remote have the “<” at the begining…even though view source doesn’t show it…my settings.php does NOT have it at the beginning, when I add it to that file and upload it, I now eet just a blank screnn with an html heading showing in view source…this has got to be something just silly and small but I have no idea what it might be…

at the moment, its blank, because this is showing:

which means it has not been uploaded correctly
try re uploading, and check if you need to use passive mode or similar

The index.php file is static, at least mine is here…

Did you run the php test script on your server to ensure it has the pieces required to support php?

I’ll answer for Wess. Yup, that was the first thing we tried. It came back as supporting PHP. It’s most likely still on the server as test.php.

–Dave

Ok, if you want me to take a look send me the ftp details and your index.php file & I will take a shot at it…

Wess isn’t telling whole story. I got paid back in spades! Outstanding baby back ribs, homemade jerky, and…the best steak I have ever had in my life! Ever heard of a Big Green Egg? He may be hooked on weather station stuff but I’m getting one of those eggs.

–Dave