"findU needs your help!" The challenge... the standings...

See below for the “Rest of the Story…”

I’ll edit this post with the current standings when I have an update.

Bumpdate… I missed the post from KenW at the last update. Sorry, Ken!

(I also misapplied the 3PM donation which I’ve corrected here. :frowning: )

6:10 PM PDT Wednesday 10 Sept 2008

Weather-Watch is still out in front!

WxForum Weather-Display
$215.01 $225.00

Total $440.01

Update, Weather-Watch pulls ahead!

Update 3:15 PDT Wednesday 10 Sept 2008

WxForum Weather-Watch
$190.01 $200

Total $390.01

12:30 PM PDT 10 Sept 2008

WxForum Weather-Watch
$190.01 $175

Total $365.01

As of 5 PM PDT 5:15 PM PDT Tuesday, 9 Sept 2008:

Wxforum $150 Weather-Watch $125

Chris

I already posted this on WxForum, and then George Richardson made the following suggestion:

I’ve thought long and hard on this. About 2 minutes, and that included adding my 2 cents or a little more to the pot. I would bet that if someone would challenge the WD forum as to who could make the biggest dent in that outstanding 2K the whole thing would disappear in about 24 hours.

FWIW

George

Consider the gauntlet thrown. I’ve coughed up 100USD for SLOweather.

from findu.com

The Subject: is at the top of every findU page. I’ve already sent Steve a $100 check to help out, and inquired about him accepting direct advertising as well.

Here’s the text from the link.

findU needs your help!
findU has continued to grow in popularity, currently getting more than 1.6 million hits a day. That is about 50% growth over last year! Hosting servers of this size is quite a task, and while one server is hosted in a donated academic site, the other is in the process of moving between two commercial datacenters. The owner of the first comany is exiting the business, and the owner of the new site has agreed to give me a generous discount, but I still do need to pay for the site, and overnighting a 70 pound server between Florida and Pennsylvania is no minor expense.

Last year I collected donations for the hosting charge and for an upgrade of the hard drive system. When I investigated the upgrading process, I decided findU was better off for with a new server which would only cost $2000 more. The hardware is presently working great on both servers, and for the first time in a while I think the present hardware will hold demand for the next year. Sadly, Google revenue continues to drop, advertising is the first place companies scrimp in a recession.

findU will survive, I’ve already fronted most of the expenses, there is no threat of it going away this year. Whether you are able to give, or whether you choose to give, the service will remain free and open to all. I wish I did not need to beg, it very much goes against my grain. Times are tough for everyone, and I am very thankful that I am better off than most. I have donated thousands of hours of my time to APRS and findU, I’ll continue to do that. findU is my baby, and I want to keep it available. I simply cannot jeopardize my financial future any longer, findU must pay its own way from this point forward. At a minimum I must raise the $850 annual hosting fee, whatever the FedEx charge for shipping amounts to, and make a dent in the $2000 debt on the new server. If I can’t, this will be the last year.

If you are able to give, even a little, please consider doing so. If you are not able, please do not feel bad about it.

If you do wish to give, you can use this button, or PayPal to [email protected]. If you prefer to mail a check, you may do so at

Steve Dimse
56200 Overseas Highway
Marathon, FL 33050

Thank you! Steve Dimse

Thank you SLOweather, I will do something tonight when I get home, I have been uploading there for only a year or so and it has been handy to compare results with local stations to compare say baro readings. I’ll pop some money in the kitty tonight.

TokKiwi

Thanks!

Over on Wxforum, I’ve volunteered to keep the tally for the competition. I’ll keep it for WD, too if y’all want. If anyone wants to donate, send me how much and I’ll add it to the WD total. If you want it kept anonymous, or the amount kept secret let me know that.

PM or Email. chris at tbo dot net.

I have coughed up 50$ US :wink:

Thanks, Windy!, Also received notification of another donation from a WD user!

I’ll keep the top post of this thread updated with the current totals for both forums.

And, to give credit where credit is due, Ocala Dave from WxForum emailed me and asked me to post there about the findU dilemma, as he’s having trouble logging in to that forum. Then, as noted, George Richardson suggested the challenge. I’m just the lowly messenger/gauntlet tosser, and tally keeper.

A bump for the current totals:
Weather_Watch is still behind…

12:30 PM PDT 10 Sept 2008

WxForum Weather-Watch
$190.01 $175

Total $365.01

There we are ahead… $50.00 to findu via paypal just happened>

KenM

Bumpdate:

Update 3:15 PDT Wednesday 10 Sept 2008

Weather-Watch pulls ahead!

WxForum Weather-Watch
$190.01 $200

Total $390.01

Bumpdate… I missed the post from KenW at the last update. Sorry, Ken!

(I also misapplied the 3PM donation which I’ve corrected here. :frowning: )

6:10 PM PDT Wednesday 10 Sept 2008

Weather-Watch is still out in front!

WxForum Weather-Display
$215.01 $225.00

Total $440.01

I wanted to promote this cause…I’ve used findu for years…it is a worthwhile project that supports our personal weather stations/data.

Dan, yours was the first WD donation I received notice of. I appreciate it, and I’m sure Steve Dimse appreciates it. I let him know what we were doing, and he mentioned that he was wondering where the flurry of donations were coming from.

Bumpdate:

Things are slowing down. I sure wish we could raise a little more to help Steve out. (hint hint…)

This last contribution was a first, a split, with part going to WxForum, and part to WD.

(Well, that’s not exactly true. I had one a few days ago that donated $40.01 and wanted to allocate his donation as follows:

weather-watch: minus $100
wxforum: plus $140.01

I ignored the machinations…)

Current standings:

WxForum Weather-Display
$225.01 $245.00

Total $470.01

WxForum pulls ahead!

And, we have our first serial donator!

Any answerback from the WD crowd? It’s for a good cause!

WxForum Weather-Display
$325.01 $245.00

Total $570.01

Slight delay but sent $50USD tonight. Keep it up guys… support the systems that support you.

Update. Thanks, TokKiwi!

That brings us to:

WxForum Weather-Display
$325.01 $295.00

Total $620.01

WD closes the gap a bit, but WxForum still leads!

Make that two. Just coughed up enough to put us ahead, for now.

–Dave

Please let me know how much, Dave. I’m not findU, so I only know if the donor tells me the amount.

In the interim, another donation for Wxforum…

WxForum Weather-Display
$375.01 $295.00

Total $670.01

At 1:42 PM PDT on 15 Sept 2008 (Harvest Moon), the second serial donator, credited to WD:

WxForum Weather-Display
$375.01 $325.12

Total $700.13

At 3:50 PM PDT on 15 Sept 2008 (Harvest Moon), another donation credited to WD.

WD is now ahead by 11 cents!

WxForum Weather-Display
$375.01 $375.12

Total $750.13

:smiley: :lol: 8)