WD now supports a moving LED Sign!

Hi
I purchased this one:
http://www.wideled.com/semi_outdoor/7.62mm.html
(at the top)
180$ US, used paypal, nice and helpfull staff, arrived fast too by post
and I have it working via a simple test program, (serial connection (usb to serial works too))
So I can add support for this to WD now :slight_smile:

Sounds great. Did you buy it from the same site? I don’t see an order page…

Hi
yes, I purchase from that web site, but done via email
lisazhousigns at gmail.com

and a PDF order price form and then a paypal email to send the amount to on the invoice :slight_smile:
I have it in the office window, with a message to the wife to read, when she gets home from work
(I think I told here I was getting it!)
I will now be able to read the current weather data from outside, around the house,LOL, once I add the code into WD (will do that next (pretty easy) :slight_smile:

lisazhousigns at gmail.com = same (now banned) person that spammed a bunch of members by PM. I guess spamming does work :roll:

they are persistant …I can vouch for that…but in the end the product turned up in the mail pronto, and its look great and it works :slight_smile:

Does that link work? I can’t see anything…

it does for me, but I had to click on cancel, in IE7, for loading the chinese language pack (it shows OK without that)
what browser?

It loads for me just fine. IE7

Loads fine here too with FF3 :slight_smile:

I will see about getting it working with my WD version and then take a little movie with my camera of the moving LED sign for you all to see :slight_smile:

I saw one of the BETAbrights at Sam’s Club. 200$ But it was sooooo small.

Mark

the one I have here is a decent size, easily viewable from outside, and they have much bigger ones too (but the price goes up alot)
video does not look so good…comes out all choppy, due to the frame rate I guess…

i do have it working…just for now in the simple test from WD, temperature, windspeed, direction, and rainfall

what I will do is make it where you customise what to display, based on custom tags…

Now will it matter on the name brand of the led sign? I have a beta bright one here. Cant wait for this update to come out.

do you have any info about how it works, i.e what data needs to be sent to it, etc?

Not a clue. I will go to the website and see if I can find anything.

The echo command works…if that helps any…
ECHO ^<ID01^>^<PA^> your message here > COM1 (or what com port the sign is on)

Brian, look in Chaper 15 of Weather toys. It explains the commands, etc. for the BetaBrite Sign.
Hope this helps.
Bill

where do I find the weather toys manual?
thanks

http://www.weathertoys.net ? not sure but that looks like it.

Sorry Brian. Weather Toys is a book by tim Bitson. I would have thought that you would have it/read it. they have more info at the above site, as well as at www.wiley.com/go/extremetech. I’m really surprized that you didn’t recognize it. They mention Weather Display, and Brian Hamilton in several places in their book

having trouble knowing what to download…the tools.zip is slow/sporadic to download
maybe if page 15 could be posted here?

also, DeSotoValleywx
just in case it functions the same , try the latest version of WD and set up the LED sign in the setup, adv/misc setup (far right hand side)

ah, just read your message Bill…its been a long time…7 years or so…yes, Tim has given me help before and did vaguely recognise things…