wireless web cam

just as I am getting used to 2 computers… (I am getting my exercise running down and up the stairs to the basement and back tweaking the system), does anyone have a suggestion on a compatible wireless webcam?

I have a netgear WPN824v3 wireless router,

What I would like to do is have it upload or and so forth with the Weatherlink or a side program if needed.

I hesitate to suggest something that may interfere with your exercise program, but why not use some type of remote desktop, either microsoft (if you have XP pro) or some flavor of VNC (I use UltraVNC), to manage the XP box?

the stair climbing isn’t bad… helps me out … gets me in shape for school. I had thought of a management program, but it is easier and less painful to go down there and make the adjustments. If the daily report emails out fine, then we are in good shape. if not tweak away.

So any wireless web cam ideas. I wrote an email to netgear for their recommendations (yawn).

I think the real reason he is using the stairs is bacause he has a stash of ants to snack on hidden in the basement. :lol:

maybe… and now for a few lyrics…

This is the start of the Laarge Daark Aardvark Song.
(bum-bum-bum-bum, bum-bum-bum, bum, yeah yeah yeah!)
There is a large dark aardvark in the park,
They say he’s missing from the zoo.
(that’s me, folks!)
And the police are looking high and low
But they have not seen him; have you?
(peek-a-boo!)
Why did he go?
Oh, I’ll tell you the reason:
'Cause it’s aardvark mating season.
When an aardvark makes a date
He sneaks right through that old zoo gate.
So, if you see two aardvarks necking in the park,
Don’t upset their apple cart.

Do not be a spy, you’re not the FBI
And you should never break an aardvark’s heart.
This is the second chorus of the Aardvark Song.
To be an aardvark is not easy, folks,
'Cause all you get to eat is ants.
(dee-licious!)
And all the other animals make jokes
At your attempts to find romance.
(very funny…)
Nobody laughs at hippopotamusses,
Or at fat rhinoceroses,
But an aardvark makes them howl
Because he’s neither fish nor fowl;
He’s like a kangaroo in love with a gnu,
And that’s what makes the zoo folks laugh.
All of this is so, and here is how I know:
I’m your friendly neighborhood giraffe!
This is the end of the Laarge Daark Aardvark Song.
(bum-bum-bum-bum, bum-bum-bum, bum, yeah yeah yeah!)

I think the “Mead” is down there too… :wink:

I’ll have to look at wifi webcams again, IIRC most of them generate a video stream and I’m not sure how you can use that :?

yup

Niko - my handycam sends an TV - AV stream into a capture card, but I’m sure that is converted to MPegII and WD reads that ok, possibly the same for USB cameras that they send out MPEGIV perhaps and WD captures that. Perhaps there is some software that needs to be run on the PC to assist with port camera controls… obviouisly depends on make and model.

Aha, I see WD does MJPG for IP cams so maybe that’s all you need :slight_smile:

Aardvark -

I was using a D-Link DCS-900W wireless webcam. The DCS-900W is no longer in production by D-Link but there probably may be some on eBay or something. I was able to capture the image from the DCS-900W using WD and then have it uploaded to wunderground without much trouble. The D-Link recommended replacement for the DCS-900W is the DCS-950G which is similar in configuration and capabilities. I found it on Amazon for $99.99US. I am still using the DCS-900W but not for WD. I no longer need a wireless cam so I went with a Microsoft USB Lifecam.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Greg.

http://www.Tuscawilla-Weather.org