sitemap.xml

Thanks Martin! :smiley:

Google is stripping the “.php” on my Contact page Link and its saying its a bad link. As you can see in my sitemap file, it shows the .php

http://www.snoqualmieweather.com/sitemap.xml

Anyone know why Google might be doing this? Ive resubmitted my sitemap through there webtools, but that hasnt helped at all. Thanks, Mark

Maybe there is something about the page it doesn’t like.

I note that you start off with a tag before the DocType.

Your sitemap is OK. Google has a cache of an old contact page you had at that URL
You can see it is the top link on this search
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww.snoqualmieweather.com+contact&ie=UTF-8

This is Google’s cache of http://www.snoqualmieweather.com/contact. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Aug 8, 2008 04:35:32 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime.

You just have to wait for google to purge it out naturally or you can make a mod rewrite to 301 redirect that old URL to your new URL
The redirect help if anybody clicks on the google link, but they probably would contact you from your site anyway.

Great Info from ya Both…I’ll wait and see if Google will fix it them selves. Does it help any if i resubmit my Sitemap file in there webtools to maybe speed things up?

gsitecrawler can ping google when it uploads your sitemap, but google will usually come get it when ever it wants. I would not worry about it.
It may take several days or even several weeks for google to purge your old pages, you just have to wait.

I`m confused… 8O can somebody guide me step by step what should I do?
Should I dl one of these two(photo)? should I create a file called robots.txt and enter in the text? and then uploaded to the website?

ScreenHunter_024.jpg

I got mine running. The bots were all over my WUHistory and radar files so they are now removed from being crawled. This was pretty simple and I was quite impressed with what google had about my site all ready. Thanks for the info on getting this up and running.

If I understand this correctly Google will look at the sitemap.xml and then index the site nicely as it has done with Carterlake’s or TNET’S site? And this could take from 6 days to 6 months? So far google says my sitemap is acceptable just wondering what happens next!

Thanks,

Jack

It takes a while…

I stopped looking and then when I checked one day it was there.

Does E-rice have a problem with sitemaps? Ever since changing to them, I keep getting errors in my map through google. Heres the error im getting…

URL timeout: robots.txt timeout
We encountered an error while trying to access your Sitemap. Please ensure your Sitemap follows our guidelines and can be accessed at the location you provided and then resubmit.

Ive tried removing the robot.txt file and putting it back. But I keep getting the same error message. Ive also tried with a capital S but that didnt do anything either.

http://www.snoqualmieweather.com/sitemap.xml

Any ideas on this would be great…Thanks, Mark.

Mark,

I would open up a ticket with e-rice and see if they can see an issue with it. They are usually pretty good getting back to you in a timely manner.

Chuck

OK…Will do…Thanks.

The longest I waited was about 12 hours but that was on a weekend. But usually 2-4 hours is the norm. Granted if you do it at night it take a while.

Chuck

I opened a ticket when i first switched about some ftp problems and it took 2 days for a response. Hopefully I’ll get a faster response this time around.

Where do you see the error?

In the Google webmaster tools. Google wont validate my sitemap since switching to e-rice. Not sure if the timing is a coincidence or not.

Just as a data point. I use E-Rice and I don’t have a problem with the sitemap.

Mike

Edit: Well I should have checked before posting this. I went to the webmaster tools
and sure enough I have the same problem. It was working so something changed
either on Google or E-rice.

How does a robot.txt file timeout? Google is saying that. I never changed anything with my sitemap or robot.txt file when I made the change to e-rice.

URL timeout: robots.txt timeout

Yeah, I have not changed anything either and I seem to be getting the
same error. I would suspect a problem at Google. Be interesting to
see what Alan at E-Rice says about it.

Mike