WD Custom Tags Reference & PHP WD Tags

UPDATE 5 Nov 2008
[b]There is now a completely new version of the php tags that now comes as a package. More details here!

The Tags Reference Page as mentioned below is still available, but if you are using the new WD PHP Tags system, you can also view your own weather data in the tag previews. [/b]

I originally posted this in the wrong place, and thought it would be more appropriate here.

WD’s custom tags are a very powerful feature that makes WD the ultimate weather web site developer’s friend, but there are a lot of tags, about 2000 in fact. So trying to find the one you want, is time consuming, and frustrating, and then you have no idea what it’s data output will look like when it’s on your page.

So I spent a very long time compiling all the tags into a system which would make them easy to find, and provide a preview of the data output. This is available for anyone running a WD powered web site, either standard html or php (see below).

I originally created the tags reference page when I set out to use Carterlake’s php tags script, which has got to be the weather web site php developer’s friend! The problem was that you had to create your own file with the tags you wanted to use separated by pipes, then call the tag by the number of it’s position in the list. That’s ok if you only want to use a few tags on your site. However, it would be better to be able to use any of the tags, and with 2000 odd tags available in WD, not many of us know what they all do, and there are some real gems amongst them! So for php WD web site developers I have created a ready to go tags file for use with the Carterlake system, which has every WD tag in it. And to save you having to count through the 2000 long list to find the number of the tag you want to include in your web page, the tags reference page includes the ID number next to each tag, which you simply enter into your php code to print that tag in your page.

Like I say I originally created the tags file and reference page for my own use, so it is a bit scruffy right now. I hope, when I’ve got a bit more time, to break the menu down into more sections, but right now you can click on a section in the floating menu (if you have javascript enabled), and it will take you to that section in the tag reference list. Although there isn’t a search engine included on the page, here’s a tip: you can use your browsers search feature to search for a string of text on the page if you want to search for a particular tag.

You can find the tag reference page, the Carterlake php add on tags file, and some other stuff here;
http://www.newton-noss.co.uk/weather/tech/

I hope you find it useful :smiley:

Very nice :slight_smile:

Would it be possible that you could add a field to input a url on that page, so that it grab the data from another location than your own?

Arnt

hopefully people find this usefull :slight_smile:
should I make it a sticky thread?

I think that’s a good idea.

WOW! I think that is GREAT stuff!! I knew there were a LOT of tags, but I didn’t know there were THAT many.

Sticky thread for sure.
Bill

There’s an update for this tags system now. It fixes the issue you can get if someone arrives at your page at the same time that WD is uploading the tags file. When this happens the tags file doesn’t exist, so you get php errors, and empty spaces where your tag output should be.

The update makes sure your visitors never experience an ugly broken, page by automatically refreshing the page if the tags file is uploading at that moment.

Also I have some good news for Arnt (see below).

And I’ve just released a new tides processor script!

You can get the update, scripts and more from http://www.newtonandnoss.com/weather/tech/

Yes I have added this feature now to the tags reference page, so you can enter the url to your tags file, and your tags will be displayed instead of mine. I haven’t been able to test it out yet actually on someone else’s tags file though, so let me know if you find any problems.

Please also note that the tags reference page has also moved, so please go to the main weather tech page, and locate it from there.

Niiiceeeeee!!! :occasion5:

I understand the time You spend for this and Thank You very much! Now there is a compass for the tags world.

Angelos

I love your plugin, it has endless possibilities!

Great job!!!

Thanks for sharing your work with us all!!

Tom

Nice set of functions, thanks for sharing.

I ran into a problems with the tag reference page on your site. You can see an example of it by loading the tags file from http://www.scottsh.net/wx/wxtags-error.php

A quick look shows some unexpected behavior from the tags for:

%noaawarningscroll%|
%noaawarningscroll2%|

It seems perhaps they weren’t implemented in your reference page?