After Win XP problem, can't reconnect using VVP and WeatherLink 5.8

System: Dell Optiplex 745, Win XP SP3, WeatherLink 5.8, Weather Envoy (USB model), VVP 1.1.1.2, StartWatch 1.1.1.144 (both registered), N8vBvCOM. This configuration with WeatherLink 5.7.1 but including Lantronics Redirector had been running for a year or so, no problem. Heard about WeatherLink 5.8 and installed it back in the spring, took about two minutes to configure it to connect to my host computer through a TCP/IP connection. Uninstalled Lantronics, ran until Sunday with no problems.

I shut down my system to install a new UPS, ending everything normally. On reboot got the “NTLDR and NTDETECT missing” message. After repairing this problem, the computer booted OK but now I can’t reconnect to VVP.

VVP just will not connect to the console. I have selected TCP/IP and entered my computer’s address including port number. Best I recall (and I probably don’t remember too well since the installation of WL 5.8 connected to VVP so easily) but best I recall I don’t need to spec a com port in VVP, just the virtual console’s TCP/IP?

Equally frustrating, I have no idea why the VVP and WL settings were destroyed during the system repair to add back in the NTLDR and NTDETECT modules. Nor any idea why they were destroyed in the first place.

Any ideas, anyone?

most likely wlink 5.8 has set the usb data logger to usbexpress mode

there is a FAQ on how to set that back (you need to download a program from the davis web site to do that)

Brian,

That is the Davis file “CP210X USB to Serial Converter”? At least that seems to be more or less where the FAQ link leads me.

Thanks for quick response.

Bob

Brian,

That file seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks again.

Bob

Just sat down and saw this. Thanks Brian for pitching in the solution on this one.

Steve
SoftWx

Thanks to Bruce and Steve. I’m now able to connect as before.

A new problem has appeared. When I shut down StartWatch I get an “Unexpected Memory Leak” message, with the following detail:

The unexpected small block leaks are:
157-172 bytes: TApdDataPacket x 1

Should I be worried about this?

Bob

I wouldn’t worry about it, as it is small enough that it looks like a single occurance leak, not one that grows over time. But, there shouldn’t really be any leak messages. Does it occur every time you shutdown StartWatch?

Steve

Well, I don’t shut StartWatch down that often. The first time I saw the memory leak message was during the shutdown I referenced above, to install a new UPS. And that’s when I got the “missing NTLDR” message. Don’t know if the memory leak could have been involved in that problem, probably not.

When I shut down StartWatch yesterday I got the message again (but no problems when I restarted).

I’ll do a few shutdowns today and tomorrow and if I see the leak message again, will let you know.

Bob