Bringing WD over to new PC and setting up at the same time a new WS

Hi,

I would like to bring over WD to new box I built and set up at the same time a new WS with new software.
Would it be better to install the new software on the old PC first to see that everything is functioning or is there a way to set it up straight onto the new box without losing the data from the past?
Thanks.

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/10888

Hi.

I’m well aware of this. Please read my question again.
I want to install a new weather software for a new WS at the same time. Does it make sense?
I do not want to install the old weather software. The new WS uses another software.

Thanks.

what weather station type is the new station?
why not just set up WD on the new pc to work with that station type, if it works OK,then bring across your data files and logfiles etc (exit WD first)

Hi,

The new WS is the Vantage Pro 2 (wired). The old one is a La Crosse.
Thank you.

You’re welcome. 8O I re-read the question several times and I may possibly understand now what you are asking.

Unless you are not using WD anymore my statement still stands. All you have to do is switch from LaCrosse to Davis in the setup.

The LaCrosse WS comes with a different software you have to install so WD works.
The Vantage uses another software (Weatherlink).

Another matter and this is not an insult to the owner of WD- the Weatherlink software is quite comprehensive too.
What are the main difference betwen these two software products?

Thanks.

WD can be used with the 2310 station without needing to have the la crosse software running
and also WD does not need the weather link software running to use with a Davis VP

Huh? Do I miss something? Since when don’t I need to run HeavyWeather to get the data from the station over to WD?
Is this the reason of the heavy load of WD (I asked in another tread of a lighter version of WD).
I have the WS2305-11 station and when I purchased WD in 2004 I had to install HeavyWeather to grab the data off the WS so WD could grab these details off HeavyWeather.

I don’t have to install the WeatherLink software and WD grabs the data directly off the VantagePro WS?
Could you please confirm this?
That would be great!
Thank you again.

Huh? Do I miss something? Since when don't I need to run HeavyWeather to get the data from the station over to WD?
since the first time WD supported the 2310 station it has not needed to have heavy weather running (i.e do not tick to use heavy weather) (and yes heavy weather does use alot of CPU)
I don't have to install the WeatherLink software and WD grabs the data directly off the VantagePro WS?
correct (althouh if you have a usb data logger, then the drivers needed for that will need to be installed)

Mmhh, I couldn’t (and can’t) get the brand new Vantage Pro2 to talk to WD.
I did everything you said, I copied the wdisplay folder over to the new PC, registry, .ini file etc- WD can’t find the new station.
The Davis VP2 has a USB data logger, tthe previous La Crosse station was on COM port1.
I cleared in the station setting the La Crosse station, added the VP2, set all parameters as required but it’s not receiving any data.
I installed the Weatherlink software and it works fine and is communicating with Weatherlink.
Any suggestions please?
Thank you.

most likely weather link has set the usb data logger to usbexpress mode
there is a FAQ on how to unset that…i.e you need to download a program from the davis web site (to where you have weather link installed and run it from there) to do that

Davis have a driver for USB and must install.
then see at system what com say for USB, put it on WD and restart DW

Got it working. Thanks.