Panasonic IP camera question

Do Panasonic IP cameras allow direct access to the current image, something like http://xx.xx.xx.xx/image.jpg ? Or is the only way to have the camera ftp or email the image. The documentation I’ve looked at doesn’t doesn;t really say.

If I get a Panasonic I want to know if WD can get the images directly from the camera.

I cannot speak for all Panasonic IP cameras, but on the two I own (BL-C10 and BL-C131) it works fine.
The command is as follows: http://camera.address/[color=red]SnapshotJPEG?Resolution=320x240&Quality=Standard[/color]

The resolution and quality parameters can be adapted as required.

I have the complete CGI specs for Panasonic IP cameras (PDF).
Too large to be posted here (2 megs) but I could send it by PM if you like.

Will this command work in WD to get the image from the camera? I’m guessing it should since, I believe, you just tell WD the URL of the image.

I’d be interested in seeing the CGI specs so please send me the doc. Thanks.

Yes WD will read it, as you say it’s just an URL.
You must respect an interval of 3 seconds minimum between two requests though.
In order to be able to send you the doc I’ll need a PM address.

I’m looking for new network cameras, what’s your opinion of them? Since you have two I would guess it’s favorable.

Yes, I’m very happy with both, although the BL-C131 is the better one with MPEG-4 support and it’s wireless.
They have both free DDNS support from Panasonic which is a nice feature (details here).

If you’d like to check out Panasonic IP cameras on-line, this is a nice place to to so. (check out the BL-C111, it’s the wired equivalent of the BL-C131).

I almost sound like a Panasonic salesman :), but I’ll be happy to answer your questions too :wink:.

Doc was sent this morning to your PM.
Check out paras 3.13 through 3.16 for details on image retrieval (motion JPEG as well as snapshots).

We use one of the two (BL-C111 or BL-C131) in several of our remote offices to “See” what is going on in those small remote data centers. I recognize the camera from seeing them when they were doing some testing on them. I think the only issue they have had was lack of low light condition support but other than that they worked quite well. These are being used for inside only work though, not outdoors.

Yes I confirm, in very low light conditions the images get noisy, but I understand that’s inherent to the sensor technology (CMOS).
Also they are not weatherproof.
However, I put one outdoors in an (emptied) security light fixture with a small heating element. Sofar (one year later) no problems :D.

Panasonic also makes CCD based and weatherproofed cameras but those are outside my budget :(.

Do you know of any on-line examples of them being used as weather web cameras?

(I tried your website link but I only found WDL)

hi

I have a BL-C30 and would like to try it as weather cam but need to know how/what to use as a “small heating element” can anyone give me some clues?

Many Thanks

No I don’t use it as weather camera, only for surveillance/security.

I use a blackened automobile lightbulb of 12V/21W, powered by a 6V supply and controlled by a thermo switch to keep the temperature above 5

Thanks
I will give that a try

It appears that the Panasonic BLC131A netcam has been discontinued. Can’t find it in stock anywhere that’s not a refurb.
Anyone know if a replacement model is on the horizon from Panny?

Amazon still sell them new, leadtime 1 to 2 months however.

You could also check with Securityideas although they’re a bit more expensive.

Last but not least, B&H have a leadtime of 7/14 days.

Can you use the wired BL-C111A?

No, I really need the wireless as I need it to watch an injured pet recuperate.

It does appear that it’s simply a supply problem and not that it’s been discontinued based on a reply I received from panny.

I did email security ideas this morning to see if they had it in stock, but not heard back from them yet.