WordPress Blog Add On for Carterlake/AJAX/PHP Templates Now Available

Ok, thanks for the info. When I get some time I will see about setting this up. I would do it today but going to float the river this morning and then have an NFL game this afternoon. Got some guys coming over to watch it since they either don’t have satellite or a TV, or both :slight_smile: Maybe make it tomorrows project…

I am going to try it.

I do not use the site templates, even though my site looks like the current site templates, my site precedes them. … so I will have some customizing to make it work.

Let me know how it goes, Mike. Like you, I don’t use the standard templates so I actually started with the standard WordPress template and then customized it. It actually isn’t all that hard. The WordPress template system is pretty modular with just a few main pages calling the header, footer, menu, etc. I essentially took a basic page from my own site and then plugged the WordPress coding into it.

Tony

Hi Tony
On my my site i have a custom set up to
I have word prees set up how did you go about
doing your custom setup
thanks Beau

I got it working but now I am trying to fix HTML validation errors.

It really isn’t all that hard. Basically you just start with a plain page that matches the design of your existing site, then plug in the WordPress coding for various pages WordPress uses into the main section. Glancing at the coding for your site, you would insert the WP coding between the section called “

” and the section called “
”.

I would start by downloading the “default” theme from your WordPress installation. When you look at the coding you will get a feel for how it works. There are seven files that need to be modified: single.php, search.php, page.php, index.php, attachment.php, archives.php, and archive.php. In each of those, you would want to remove the coding that says <?php get_header(); ?> and <?php get_footer(); ?>. Then, either insert calls to the appropriate pages that generate the top, menu and footers for our site or just paste the coding itself. You will also most likely need to modify the various paths for links to other pages in your since you are running WordPress from a subdirectory. Lastly, you need to insert the WordPress CSS stuff into your own CSS file - I would start by just copying and pasting the stuff from our template into your CSS file and see what that gets you.

When you get those all done, upload them to a new subdirectory in the WordPress themes directory and then select it from the admin section. That is it in a nutshell. :slight_smile:

Tony

Looks good, Mike!

As for the validation… Bah! We don’t need no stinking validation! LOL

T

I have it installed and HTML validated :lol: 8) :lol:

http://www.642weather.com/weather/wxblog/

most of the html validation problems were list tags in sidebar.php
I will send it…

I have it installed and HTML validated

Awesome! I’ll replace the sidebar coding with yours.

Now… You have a weather blog, what do you have to say? I am anxiously awaiting your first post! :slight_smile:

Tony

Can’t say much now, I have to do some chores for the wife. :lol:

another validation change I made was move this style section from sidebar.php to the section of my header

<style type="text/css">
<!--
.style1 {
    font-size: 12px;
    font-weight: bold;
}
.style2 {font-size: 12px}
-->
</style>

also I will mention that the first plugin I always install on wordpress is the all-in-one-seo-pack
all-in-one-seo-pack needs no configuration. You just install and activate the plugin.

I want to fiddle a few more things for this.
I want to try to make the color themes inline with the style switcher so if I select the black theme the colors will change correctly.
If I am successful at this I will release those for others. :lol:
Edit: current download includes my changes

Theme switcher Updated today …

Version: 1.09 03-Aug-2008
added full css support for the Worpress Blog Addon
“Weather Display Blog by Tony Hake & Jack Ahern”
http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/34342
To upgrade from vers 1.08: just replace all the css files from this zip file to your server

Download:
http://www.642weather.com/weather/scripts/css-theme-switcher.zip
A readme.txt is included, look for the instructions inside, ask any questions here.

See my blog using the theme switcher here;
http://www.642weather.com/weather/wxblog/

Theme switcher Updated today ...

That was a really nice addition, thanks Mike!

Jack

added full css support for the Worpress Blog Addon "Weather Display Blog by Tony Hake & Jack Ahern"

Thanks, Mike! I’ll update our instructions to reflect the changes.

Tony

No problem…
Also I did not have to put my css files in the wordpress themes folder because I added the full url in the header to my main site folder for the css files.

I was checking out this thread & decided that I would like a blog added to my site. However none of my pages are PHP. Can this blog be added to a non php webpage? If so, what must I do? Or would it be way over my head? I already have the wordpress software running on my host.

Hi Drobbins,

Do you have php available? It would seem that you do if wordpress is on your server. Here are some of the initial requirements from Wordpress…http://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

If that is the case you should be able to run your blog page using php.

Regards,

Jack

Yes I am using e-rice.

Probably the best solution would be to follow the directions below from Tony, if you have difficulties post back I’m sure Tony can help you with this too!

When he says: “Then, either insert calls to the appropriate pages that generate the top, menu and footers for our site or just paste the coding itself.” Does he mean that I should paste the code from each one of those pages into my website template page thus generating 7 new web pages?

No, as he says here…

Glancing at the coding for your site, you would insert the WP coding between the section called "
" and the section called " .........just paste the coding itself.....
".

I think you have the same situation. Then you would just need to change your menu to include a “blog” tab.

Jack