Important Info for Davis VP USB data logger users and potential users

Until I get a working computer I’ve loaded a trial copy of WD on my main computer.
I’ve set it up for my VP and COM port number. Checked the speed to be 19200 bd, same as the settings in the VP.

I still can’t connect. The green light, next to the text ‘Data Received 0’ flashes and the light below it is red.

Have I got a duff VP USB interface? My computer recognises it though.
In the next few days I’m going to my summer chalet that has the same setup. I’ll take the interface and try my home interface in my working chalet VP.

Hi
does weatherlink work?

Could it be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiction of the harddrive? Depending on the age of the computer/harddrive it might be worth a shot to try tapping on the harddrive while attempting to power up and see if it will over-come the stiction force. I’ve also heard of putting the harddrive in the freezer for a few hours then remove and re-install and try powering up the computer. If either remedy works be prepared to do a total backup of the drive immediately and before powering down.

I’ll try it if I can find the disk :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s the disk as it doesn’t get as far as the BIOS.

you should be able to download weatherlink I think?

Yep - http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/downloads/software_sftwr.asp :wink:

I can only find downloads to update your weatherlink.

I’ve just found the disk but it’s getting late (gone midnight!)
Will try it in the morning.

I have now got the original PC working. It was the external PSU after all. Although it measured 19v off load it must drop on load.
A new PSU fixed it.

So back to square one.

I notice that when I close WD a box pops up to say that the program requires a missing Windows component. (flash.ocx)

Loaded WeatherLink and that seems to run OK.

what shows in WD under view, debug info and under view, program event log,when its started up?
the missing error on close is a windows problem…a search of the forum should show a solution

Program event log is blank.

I noticed that when WD starts up the window opens then immediately closes and opens again.

what window is that exactly?
also which version/build?

also what shows across the top of the WD Program?
what shows under view, debug info?

The main WD window.
Ver 10.37R build 315

Weather display - Ver 10.37R315 - Registered - DAVIS Vantage Pro

‘Loaded all time records
connected OK to com port 7’

is com port 7 the correct com port?
does the data received light flash in WD?

Windows Device Manager under Ports says that the Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge is on COM7
The comport is set to 7 under Control Panel, Station Settings, COM/IP Port

The Green light is flashing but next to it it says Data Received 0
Below it the light is red

what is the barometer offset in WD set to and what is the barometer reading showing on the Davis console
also if you set in WD to use the altimeter barometer in the CWOP setup
then try unticking that
then restart WD

We might be getting somewhere. I’ve been trying to get the baro reading the same as the QNH of my local airport.

The box on the left of the Baro offset reads 1021.0. The box to the right of the Set button is empty. The console reads 1015 at the moment.

No boxes ticked in the CWOP setup.

I set the baro offset to zero.

It now works!

Thanks for your help, sorry I’ve been so stupid but I didn’t think that an offset would cause a coms problem.

note that it’s a barometer offset
having an offset of 1021 will try and add 1021 hpa to the current barometer reading
and so then WD will ignore the data

the offset you set needs to be the difference between your barometer reading on your weather station and your local metar
e.g if metar is reading 5 hpa higher than your reading, then the offset you set is 5

Many thanks!