Important Info for Davis VP USB data logger users and potential users

3 years for me as well not one problem with the USB logger.

Steve

Same here. Almost 4 years and 3 different computers

((knocks on wood))

6 weeks now with the serial data logger & not one hitch. It is interesting to note the Campbell Scientific don’t even mention USB.

Just to make it clear because this is a long thread now, you previously had problems with the USB and swapped to Serial - is that right?

Could it be linked to what chip your USB is using?

Mark

I went with a USB logger and its been running since about 12/25. My machine randomly looses connection (2x today). I ordered WL-IP so I hope I am able to stay connected once I set it up.

I would have recommended getting the serial data logger (always have) and then a good quality USB to serial adaptor

Just to make it clear because this is a long thread now, you previously had problems with the USB and swapped to Serial - is that right?

Yes, I had all sorts of problems with the USB data logger (see earlier on in this thread) but since swapping to a serial data logger I have not had any problems of any type. :lol:

I’m running a Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus wireless system with a USB Weather Envoy data logger. The fix I found was to use the VirtualVP software from SoftWx (http://www.softwx.com/) it will monitor the Davis USB port and reset it if it stops responding. I’m not sure why Davis can’t do the same with their software but Steve at SoftWx can and has. I also run a “WxPC G” microcomputer, from SoftWx, as the weather station computer (WinXP Home). It runs an 8-gig CF card as the main hard drive. I’ve been live (24/7 unattended) for a week or two and the system is still on line and running. The log indicates that the USB has been reset once or twice, but the station is as solid as a rock and uses only a few watts of power to operate. Stuart DW0581

Anyone run the Davis USB Datalogger in 64 bit OS?

EDIT:

I just picked up a used one on eBay for $57. I sure hope I can get it working…

I have used the USB logger on a winxp64 and server 2008 64bit system it worked fine, the problem I ran into was other software is not compatible. Specifically, the N8VBvCOM driver so that made VirtualVP and VPlive unusable.

But if your just using Weather Display it should be fine just grab the latest drivers from Silabs. This version also supports windows 7.

P210x Windows Driver v5.4.24 Release Notes Copyright (C) 2009 Silicon Laboratories, Inc.

This release contains the following components:

• x64 directory
    • silabser.sys
    • silabenm.sys
  • x86 directory
    • silabser.sys
    • silabenm.sys

Steve,

Thanks a bundle. I didn’t even know who made the adapter so this will help me out a ton so I’m prepared!

Thanks for the advice chaps. I’ve just got my SERIAL data logger and it’s working a treat. Cheers :slight_smile:

If one is using VPlive with WeatherDisplay, do they interface together as in WeatherLink or does VPlive just monitor the port independantly of WeatherDisplay?
I haven’t got my Davis yet, but am trying to figure out how to set it up when it arrives if I am stuck with the USB data logger I’ve received.

cheers,

Tony C

VirtualVP allows you to run WD and WeatherLink at the same time.
Normally the datalogger will only allow you download the data into one program, otherwise you get conflicts with two programs asking for the same data at the same time. VVP downloads the data from the Davis and then distributes it to the other software like WD and Weatherlink.

I know VirtualVP does that. I’m not interested in running the WeatherLink software, only VPlive which solves the USB dropping out problem. I was asking about the interaction between VPlive and WD and whether they need to be linked. In the instructions of VPlive it makes reference to linking it to Weatherlink.

cheers

Tony C

Don’t know about VPLive, never used it.
I’m just using the USB datalogger with the latest drivers (v6.1) and a couple of ferrite chokes on a thicker diameter USB cable and I don’t have any problems with the lockups. I did have issues before changing the cable though. :wink:

The VPLive work-round is fine if you’ve exhausted all the other options but eliminating the root cause (external interference normally) would be the first option, surly?

I’ve sent off an email to SoftWx asking for info on how to set up VPlive with WD.
If I get a reply, I’ll post the info here.

cheers
Tony C

you would run VPlive along side WD, connecting to VirtualVP