Several issues

Hi all. I’ve been using WD since the start of this month (July 08), and have built a site and everything. However, I am experiencing quite a few problems, that seem to be bugs. In fact I would go as far as to say that WD has become unstable, and unreliable.

I’m running WD 10.37k build 13. I originally installed WD on a Vista 64bit quad core 3Ghz machine with 8Gb ram, but I decided to move it to another computer that I don’t use as much. For the move I followed the FAQ thread about moving WD to another computer. The computer move can’t be the problem, because I moved it on the first day of use, and it was running fine on the new computer for a while. The computer it is on now is a P4 3.4Ghz with 2GB ram, and running XP 32.

I can’t remember all the problems I have found (there are so many) :slight_smile: So here are the ones I can remember.

1. Web page (wxlocal) uploads do not always happen. The local file gets updates, but not always uploaded according to the schedule I set. It was set to update, and upload every 30 mins. I had to set the upload to every 5 mins to make sure that the upload does happen, even if one does fail.

2. Some custom tags are not working. One I can remember doesn’t work is the Metar last report time one.

3. Several webcam issues. If I close the WD webcam program that runs in the tray, I can not start it again by clicking on “Control Panel >> Web Cam >> Setup/View direct live web cam capture”

4. Web cam overlay settings are very screwy. Position is an issue - “left” & “width” seem to effect eachother. Trying to get my overlay to the bottom right corner was difficult. “Size +/-” is mad! Font size settings get lost when the program is restarted.

5. Staying with the web cam, when it’s running my mouse pointer becomes jerky due to fairly high CPU usage. I have tried ticking all the options for lower CPU usage, but they make no difference. Appart from the web cam occasionally stopping, it normally works fine, and gets uploaded fine to my site every minute.

Can’t remember the other problems right now, but in general, I am finding that I have to regularly restart WD, and do regular reboots of the computer too, and the problems I seem to get do not take place after making changes. They just seem to happen for no reason.

1. Web page (wxlocal) uploads do not always happen. The local file gets updates, but not always uploaded according to the schedule I set. It was set to update, and upload every 30 mins. I had to set the upload to every 5 mins to make sure that the upload does happen, even if one does fail.

check the ftp logs for clues (could be problems with your ftp server (slow, timing out, etc)

2. Some custom tags are not working. One I can remember doesn't work is the Metar last report time one.
not enough information provided to help you
3. Several webcam issues. If I close the WD webcam program that runs in the tray, I can not start it again by clicking on "Control Panel >> Web Cam >> Setup/View direct live web cam capture"

correct
just start it manualy, via double clicking on the program itself
this is designed this way so that people do not start multiple running instances of the program

4. Web cam overlay settings are very screwy. Position is an issue - "left" & "width" seem to effect eachother. Trying to get my overlay to the bottom right corner was difficult. "Size +/-" is mad! Font size settings get lost when the program is restarted.

you dont say which version

yes this function is a bit fininicky, but thats not my code thats the problem ,its the componenent I have used

5. Staying with the web cam, when it's running my mouse pointer becomes jerky due to fairly high CPU usage. I have tried ticking all the options for lower CPU usage, but they make no difference. Appart from the web cam occasionally stopping, it normally works fine, and gets uploaded fine to my site every minute.

untick keep alive, using the latest version (only works if not using the save every 1 second)

the high cpu use depends on the web cam driver (some are worse than others (I do not have any problems here myself))

Also see if you can shut down any operating webcam program if in the Task Bar. I shut my Logitech utility after startups each time and wdwebcamcapture is running around 1-3% and peaks at 10% briefly, and I am running two webcams with overlays and one minute saves of jpgs and gifs of both and both at 640 x 480. My cpu goes to 65% for 5 secs at the 5 minute cycle.

TokKiwi

Thank you both.

check the ftp logs for clues (could be problems with your ftp server (slow, timing out, etc)
I have done. No clues, but it seems the FTP window some times doesn't open when these missing tasks are scheduled. On the other hand, some times when more than one upload task happens at the same time, more than one FTP panel will open and do it's thing just fine. So some tasks, say, the webcam image upload (set for every minute), never miss out on getting uploaded.

Another issue I have is that I can not keep the FTP window from closing after it does it’s thing, although I have checked this option in the setup. I also ied “Keep connected”, but that doesn’t seem to work either.

you dont say which version
10.37k build 13
untick keep alive
one minute saves of jpgs and gifs of both and both at 640 x 480. My cpu goes to 65% for 5 secs at the 5 minute cycle
I have now disabled "keep live", and set the file write at 60secs. CPU is a bit better now between captures.
Also see if you can shut down any operating webcam program
No web cam software running. Actually this is quite a cheep, but the image quality, colour, and low light are good.

I remembered another problem I am having… I wanted to have the tide graph updated and uploaded every hour. It flashes up on the screen for the capture, but doesn’t get updated. Someone told me that it will only get updated once at 5.50am. However, Mine is getting updated at 5.50am and 13.00 - twice a day. So is it possible to have it update every hour or not?

Oh and another one… I had a go messing about with custom screens. I added a wind gust dial, and resized it, moved it etc, but the dial graphic on the custom screen became messed up, with part of it missing. If I drag it on the screen it breaks and leaves a trail, as though there is some sort of display error. Then if I remove the dial, the trail remains on the screen. If I add it again, I get the same display errors.