Virtual solar- and wind-powerplant

Hi all nerds! :wink:

I get an crazy (?) idea a couple of days ago and now I should needs some helps to right direction…

Idea is to set up an virtual solar/wind-powerplant on my weathersite using the datas WD gives me…huh…
Idea is to use a sheduled (10-15min) php-script to update data to a database upon windspeed and solar-radiation from WD what I then can put up on site (if came so long).

As easy to caclulate/compare my idea is to use an virtual power-plant with 1Kw solar panel and 1 Kw windmill as startingpoint = at maxproduce it should produce 1KwH solarenergy and 1 KwH windenergy.
I mean to do it easy as possible and not take in effect all the other things there are (ie. how big it will be if do it in real life etc.), just use the solar/wind-values to produce energy in this virtual plant :wink:

But to get it in touch with real world I will need some data to calculate from, so what I should need is some values to calculate from…
Best would be if someone have real data to use to calculate from.

solar:

• at wich point (w/m2 solar) it start to produce, where is peak, and how many % of 1Kw is the peakoutput etc.
    wind:
  • at wich speed it start/pea, here too, how much of the 1Kw isthe peak etc.

So, do you know where to find these types of datas?

:lol:

Henkka

Cant help with real world figures but it is an admirable project and I will watch with interest.

I have found some intresting stuffs of sites which uses wind and solar-energy to start with, one ia actually just 30 km from here and he has both solar-plants and a windmill :smiley:

Just an quick progress update…

After some searching I found some good references to start with and to start make a script for it for testing. Made a php-script what is runned every 10 minutes for updating the datas to database, used values windspeed and VPsolarw/m for the calculations.

Added caclulations for lost of power in cables and inverters of 15 % what seems to be a constant thing in these things what I looked for.
So here we go, used virtual generators:

Solar:
1 Kw nominal effect

Wind:
1 Kw nominal effect at 9 m/s
(this means from 9 m/s up to about 15 m/s where I add “strom-close” it produce over nominal effect)

Loss of power for both in cables and inverters etc.:
15%

Result for today:

Seems working quite well at least for solar with a almost cloudy day today, also almost calm today so haven’t seem how wind works. The solarvalues seems realible when compared with the nearby site who have panels.

:smiley:

Henkka

For the wind section, you have to take into account that turbines have a minimum or “cut-off” speed, below that value there’s no rotation, so no generation.

Yes I know that, I have 2 m/s as minimum for generating, I found a good graph of how much it generates at which speed to use :slight_smile:

Drop me a copy and I compare it to the real figures i get of my power plant.

H.

How have you gotten on with this ?

Hi!

It has been little in shade due to other problems, like crashing wx-pc, but I restarted it a few weeks ago to collect data and seems working quite well, nothing really online yet, but maybe some day :slight_smile:

EDIT: Here we go, here

Curious if you have something releasable for others. I am creating a solar pg and think your calc would be a great addition.
Thanks.