Microsoft Update KB951748 and Zone Alarm 7.0

Be weary of installing Security Update KB951748 when it shows up in your Windows critical updates, came in here today.  After a required Windows Restart, No access to pretty much everything here on my LAN & Internet.  Its uninstallable via the Window Control Panel.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&tid=e1e4b11c-0cf3-4d98-a2e4-740c509f9d76&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20759839-MS-update-KB951748-and-ZoneAlarm-PROBLEM

You should be able to use a restore point to uninstall any MS update.

Looking at the issues if you change the slider from HIGH to MEDIUM in ZoneAlarm it will then work again. I don’t use ZoneAlarm though, haven’t for years. too many other issues.

I don't use ZoneAlarm though, haven't for years. too many other issues.

same…the run away cpu use was the problem for me

The Uninstall was quicker for me, I’ll give the slider switch a try in ZA.
My ZA subscription runs out in about 6 months, what do you use now? Just curious 8)

YMMV, I have ZA working happily on all my PC’s :smiley: But I do admit that some ZA releases have been real clunkers, so I tend not to update very often :roll:

yes, i kept on trying to click on no to upgrade zonealarm all the time
(and when updating zone alarm i found it was best to uninstall first)

(this is on my windows 2000 pc)
have not been running any firewall for the last year on that pc
(there is no working browser onthat pc, and email is not used hardly at all either)
no problems (it is behind a router)

On PC’s that have humans that use them, I use AVG Internet Security which has its own firewall… Linkscanner disabled of course.

On dedicated workstations like for WD etc… I have no firewall or Antivirus… but, they (most of them) are behind a Juniper hardware firewall as they are on the business side of things, Very limited access if any to the outside.

As for non-humans users…

I’m most interested in having the outgoing firewall function.

I’m still wrestling with this problem on my weather PC. I had an ancient copy of ZA installed and I tried all the recommendations, uninstalling KB951748, lowering the security, even turning security off, shutting down ZA, and then even uninstalling it. I still have no internet access even without ZA. When I bring up WD anyway, I get these messages in WU ftp and client raw real time ftp “11004 Valid name, no data record [check DNS setup]”. What exactly is this telling me? Where do I find the DNS setup in XP and what shopuld I look for? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I finally did find the DNS setup page that have a couple of IP addresses in it that start with 206 but, don’t know what I would need to change to fix it, if that is the problem. I see there are a number of threads relating to the 11004 error, however in my case, I do not have any internet access at all (unable to browse web pages, other progs are unable to connect, the WD five minute ftp updates time out, etc.) I tried reinstalling an old version of ZA and that didn’t work either.

Harry

You could try the following:
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=AllowAccess&message.id=103

…and then reinstall the internet security suite of your choice. (on the basis that you may have some components of Zone Alarm on your system, even after doing the automated uninstall)

I used to use ZoneAlarm, but upgraded at one point, and had no internet access. Uninstalled and got my internet access back. Couldn’t figure out what the problem was, so switched to Kaspersky IS, and have had no problems since. Also like the way I get daily (sometimes more often) updates. If you are interested, go here and they will give you a special rate:

http://www.kaspersky.com/switch

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll give it a try and see what happens.

I just updated and allowed this in the update, no problems at all with internet access however on this PC I now use Comodo as the firewall. Now to see if there is a similar update for W2K on the WD PC which does run Zona Alarm, as does my wife’s PC.

Stuart

Yep! ZA locked up the interenet access on the family PC, so went to Firewall and the first Tab - Main - and Internet Zone Security slider set to Medium and it all started working again.

Going to have to keep an eye on this one!

The Wx pc does not have ZA loaded but uses NOD32, so despite it seems to only be a ZA issue, I have not loaded the Security Update KB951748 on here yet.

Graeme

This MS patch is vital to protect from a DNS spoof and covers a lot of platforms not just MS ones. Your zone alarm recommended fix is at http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=cfg&message.id=52727

however some configurations it will not work for. Its a case of having to wait for a ZA patch to rectify.

I work for an internet provider this update is causing multiple issues with INT access

I’m not at home now to check but found last night my weather PC had locked up trying to do an automatic restart after installing a patch. This is on Windows Home Server that does not have ZoneAlarm installed.

It’s not a great idea to have auto patching enabled on a 24x7 weather PC. Allow the auto download if you must, but it’s always better to stop WD, install patch, reboot under manual control.

I have found that even downloading without installing can cause me problems. Over several months WxSim would hang when making auto forecasts complaining about .NET something or the other. I finally narrowed it down to when the updates were download and the balloon message saying updates were ready to be installed would appear that caused WxSim to hang. Stopped doing the auto downloads and it hasn’t hung since.

–Dave

Im running XP home on my main PC and XP pro on my weather laptop and have ZA 7 on both. After them updates yesterday and after a re-boot i didnt notice any probs with it.

Good idea Niko. I have to be careful with manual patch installation on WHS, though. Since it’s based on Server 2003 all patches for that get pushed out. Some, apparently, do corrupt the WHS installation if installed. WHS sorts out which are to be installed and somehow notifies the user, if not automatically installed. I’ll check further into how patches should be manually installed.

I’m not running ZoneAlarm on my other PCs so the patch didn’t cause a problem on them. I did get a call from my daughter, though, about her XP PC with ZA. Her internet wouldn’t work after the patch reboot.