Odd PC

Hi gurus!

Have couple of days wondered what is occured these odd things to my wx-pc:

After some uptime (sometimes a day. sometimes only hours) it lost some of menus in programs/open windows, like Nexstorm’s NexStrom-menu: It crop it at Replay all things below that are gone or Notepad: File-menu are totally gone.
It also shows half websites, some part of sites are totally blanc.
If then try to do something it ends with no respond at all and only thing to do is reboot via force-button (ctrl-alt-del or normal shoutdown did not respond)

I have wonder if it could be positioning of the graphic-card in the box what cause this, its very close to my Boltec-card and has very small space between those and are there anything to do to this? I have tryed to run my LCD without the card using built-in card instead but with 128 MB allocated to it, it not have enouch horsepower to show websites

The specs are:
1500 Mhz Via Motherboard
1 Gt RAM
Graphic-card: NVIDIA Geforce 6200
19" LCD-screen

Temperatues:
Processor: ~50 C
Box: ~28 C

Running apps:
All WX-stuff like WD (incl. Webcam, Moviemaker) Nexstorm & Wasp2 etc.
Firefox 3

:-k

Henkka

What OS, what CPU, what % CPU use?

Did it work OK previously?

sounds like a graphic card problem…or maybe a virus?

XP SP2
Via 1500 Mhz
CPU is mostly jumping between 10 and 50%

Yes it worked fine earlier, and I haven’t done any changes to it .

The graphjic-card is what I thinked on first too or the the virus, will run a boot-scan with Avast to check after midnight when WD is ready with all the midnight-things :wink:

If the on-board graphics won’t display web pages I think there is something else going on.

C7M? If so I think that’s equivalent to about a 600 MHz Celeron. Not a lot of CPU to be running those applications.

Via Eshter 1500 Mhz.
This it runs much more smoother than my old AMD 2400+ ever did with same RAM and have not noted any hickups before this even if many non-wx windows or many tabs in FF open. :slight_smile:
Free RAM is about 400+ MB almost all the time.

But will see if boot-scan will find anything…

Hmmm…

Sounds very much like a virus!

I’ve heard about a virus making applications partially or completely stop working.
Then you receive a Email for you to make a payment in order to get your apps working again.
Could it be this?

Geir

I runned avast boot-scan and no viruses found. Runned even avast memory/startup-scan and no viruses there either. :slight_smile:

I also removed the graphic-card and changed to the built-in, allocated max memory (256 MB) what is possible to it. Removed all not needed start-up-programms what I found in CCleaners startup-tab. Result is, 27 processes running without any wx-apps or other windows running, was almost 40 before LOL
Seems to work smooth now at least when just started, also this webpage seems ok (3 tabs open in FF) so lets see if its helped :wink:

But what suprised me was, I had a whole bunch of updates in queue when shutted down, even if I think I had set it not install without my opinon…

I've heard about a virus making applications partially or completely stop working. Then you receive a Email for you to make a payment in order to get your apps working again. Could it be this?

No those emails has arrived :slight_smile:

Henkka

Humm…
Its works quite well now, not perfect yet…

One thing I noted just when looked at the women-thread’s link, this (attaced pic) appears sometimes on some sites and just wonder if this could have to do with the problems?

And, why theese appears?

Using Firefox3

Henkka

2008-07-04_221328.png

An Update…

Did not work again…runned fine for a day then it started again…

Tryed this time to close programms one by one to see what cause this (menus are gone, bumperror-sound plays continous etc.) and when closed WD all works fine again, all menus are back etc. Just wonder what could cause this…
:-k

But have followed the systemmonitor for a day when all programms running and the CPU is ok at the moment, low as 2 % and mostly jump between 5 and 35 % with a peak to 100 about once a minute and memory is ok, there are free memory left about 200 MB (I know a another 1GB stick could be fine and its planned to get one).

EDIT: Just tryed to start up WD again (this without restart of system due I want to test too see if I find a solution to it) and the bumpsounds was directly back when WD has started and had to close it again

In use is WD .37k b11

Henkka

This is a long shot, but I have seen bumperror sounds caused by a stuck key on the keyboard. Try a different keyboard and see if that helps.
Bill