cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: How do I edit html templates?  (Read 2734 times)

Offline 35mm

• Plymouth, England
    • Newton Ferrers & Noss Mayo
How do I edit html templates?
« on: June 30, 2008, 07:17:13 PM »
I went into webfiles to edit the datahtml 0, 1, 2, 3 files, but datahtml1 is already populated with data rather than with tags or data placeholders. So how do I edit the whole change wording, design, styles and add content to the html files - which templates do I need to edit?

I found a file could sample.....html something, that had tags in it. I'd like to make something similar, but how do I use my own html as a template like that?

Thanks

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."
- Bob Dylan

Offline TokKiwi

• Techno Dad
  • Mech Engineer and Hobbyist
  • Tokoroa, Sth Waikato, New Zealand
    • Tokoroa North Weather
Re: How do I edit html templates?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 08:26:14 PM »
I think if you go [Control Panel] - [Customise Web Page] or something like that, you can say copy the source code from your web page and then paste into there and try altering and adding your own custoim tags in which ever order and whatever color.

Have you tried in Setup, I think there is a Customise Web page wizard there too - not sure, I'm at work.

Graeme
Dad's have hobbies because they are children's rugby, football and Committee Fathers!!

Offline JaxWeather

• Bob
  • Global Moderator
  • VP 2 w/FARS - WML Station: WD00007
  • Jacksonville, Fl. USA
    • JaxWeather.net
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 08:27:30 PM »

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 08:55:13 PM »
You cannot change datahtm1, only 0,2,3.

Offline TokKiwi

• Techno Dad
    • Tokoroa North Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 01:05:35 AM »
But Niko, you can create a totally new customised web page without the WD table but with your own created table in Customised Web Page Setup.  Ie you don't use any of the datahtm0, -1, -2, -3 pages, from what I am led to believe using the method proposed, but yes I agree with you, using the check boxes on Web Files / Web Page setup - the primary tab, you can edit datahtm0, -2, -3 only.  Datahtm1.txt page is only for the WD created table of parsed custom tags and it cannot be edited as it will get overwritten the next time around.

Graeme
Dad's have hobbies because they are children's rugby, football and Committee Fathers!!

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 01:19:22 AM »
Sure you can create anything with tags, there used to be an example somewhere of a custom tag based version of the default page.  I was just responding to the comment in the original post "I went into webfiles to edit the datahtml 0, 1, 2, 3 files, but datahtml1 is already populated with data rather than with tags". I should have quoted it, sorry for any confusion, I wasn't responding to your post.

Offline TokKiwi

• Techno Dad
    • Tokoroa North Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 01:37:41 AM »
Ok - no worries there Niko... I have never tried that customise web page feature, and somewhere in the wdisplay folder is a sample web page setup that i think you are talking about.  I think it might even be called customexample.htm or something.

Graeme

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 09:57:46 PM »
Coincidentally Dan just posted a tag file that includes an enhanced version of the table in this thread.

Offline 35mm

• Plymouth, England
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 07:36:35 PM »
Thanks guys. Still having problems. All I want to do is create the html in DreamWeaver, insert tags, and have that page instead of the default one uploaded to my server evry 30mins as index.php

So far I have made a rough html page, and saved it as wxlocal.php in the webfiles folder. From the control panel I go to Web files/web page/realtime ftp/wdl then Custom Web Page - turn that on, click test, and wx.php is uploaded to my server. Fine.

1. How do I get wx.php's tags data updated every 30 mins? - it currently doesn't update - the WD default page does.
2. How can I change the name of it to index.php to replace the WD default web page which is currently named index.php?

Thanks

- Bob Dylan

Offline JaxWeather

• Bob
  • Global Moderator
  • Jacksonville, Fl. USA
    • JaxWeather.net
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 07:54:24 PM »
Your best bet would be to use Internet File Creation and Uploads...

First wxlocal.php has to be named wxlocal.html in your WD webfiles folder for WD to see that properly and update it.

Then when you set Create and Upload times in Internet Fil Creation and upload you can set the file to be renamed as index.php when uploaded.

-Bob

Offline 35mm

• Plymouth, England
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 09:45:03 PM »
Hi Bob,
I have tried renamed wxlocal.php to wxlocal.html, but that makes no difference. Added custom create and upload times now, for every 30 mins. Still not working though. Can't see where to change the name of wx.php either. Also now a screenshot seems to be taken evry minute even though I have set the file creat times to 30Mins.

What am I missing here? There doesn't seem to be much info about this.

- Bob Dylan

Offline JaxWeather

• Bob
  • Global Moderator
  • Jacksonville, Fl. USA
    • JaxWeather.net
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 11:19:07 PM »
wxlocal.html will turn into wx.html by WD and that is what you need to set to create and upload, create and upload are two steps in Internet File Creation and Upload and in the Upload settings box at the top is a box named "Remote file name" that is where you would set wx.html to change to index.php.

However another way is to let WD create and upload the files in their default named state and simply include them in your PHP pages which allows you to build the pages around the content.

-Bob

Offline JaxWeather

• Bob
  • Global Moderator
  • Jacksonville, Fl. USA
    • JaxWeather.net

Offline 35mm

• Plymouth, England
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 12:17:09 AM »
wxlocal.html will turn into wx.html by WD and that is what you need to set to create and upload, create and upload are two steps in Internet File Creation and Upload and in the Upload settings box at the top is a box named "Remote file name" that is where you would set wx.html to change to index.php.

However another way is to let WD create and upload the files in their default named state and simply include them in your PHP pages which allows you to build the pages around the content.

-Bob
Hi Bob, I understand all of that, and have done that. However, my wxlocal.html file with tags, is not being updated correctly. I.e. the information for the tags such as %time% are not being updated with the latest data. The time tag for instance is still reading 20.16 pm, yet I have used "Create File Now" and "Upload File Now" many times since 20:16. The file is being uploaded to the server as wx.php just fine, but with the old data!

Also in Internet File Creation & Upload... I have set a new name "index.php" for this file, but it's still being uploaded to my server as wx.php. Sure I could include it with php, but I just want to get it working as it should work for now.

I have followed instructions and FAQs already, which is why I am asking for help in this thread.
Thanks

- Bob Dylan

Offline NorCal Dan

• Dan - KJ6RGX
  • Davis Vue/Win10
  • Ocean Park, WA.
    • Traveling RV Weather
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 12:25:22 AM »
Is your wx.html being updated correctly in your webfiles directory?  You need to check that first, ie. let's make sure it is being created on the schedule you set.

cumulus