How do I setup WD and Meteohub to work together? - Updated February 11th 2009.

This is a basic description of how to setup WD to collect data from Meteohub using the “HTTP Data Logging Protocol”.
Using this protocol WD can collect and use both “live” data and “logged” (also known as “missed”) data (i.e. data recorded while WD is not running).

a) Make sure you have a recent copy of WD.
N.B. At the time of writing, this facility is only included in the Windows version of WD.
The ‘free’ Weather-Display Basic is not suitable for this purpose.

b) When using the “HTTP Data Logging Protocol”, WD is simply requesting data from the Meteohub database, so it should not be relevant what weather station equipment the Meteohub itself is connected to. i.e. the following notes apply regardless of whether Meteohub is connected to a Davis, Oregon Scientific, Irox, RFXCOM, Watson, or whatever.

c) Usually there is nothing to set up at the Meteohub end, but before proceeding check these points:
i) Check that your rain gauge is sensor rain0 and your anemometer sensor wind0.
This is necessary because, naturally, WD only expects one rain gauge and one anemometer. rain0 & wind0 are the ones it looks for.
ii) If you have both temp-hum and temp only sensors check that they don’t share the same numbers.
e.g. If Meteohub had both th3 and t3, WD would see data from both sensors as sensor 3, i.e. the values would be blended together.
N.B. thb0 is a separate matter, WD always sees thb0 as the ‘indoor’ temp-hum and baro and it does not conflict with either th0 or t0.

d) In the WD Control Panel Station Type & Settings window select ‘Stationless’ as the station type, i.e.

WD => Control Panel => Station Type & Settings => Stationless/WLK/Vortex/VWS => Select ‘Stationless’

e) In the WD Control Panel COM Port window set up the TCP/IP connection to Meteohub, i.e.

WD => Control Panel => COM Port => TCP/IP connect on to Davis VP IP/VVP/Meteohub

Set IP address of Meteohub
Set relevant port (most likely port 80)
Tick ‘Enabled’
Tick ‘Use with Meteohub’.

I have ‘Release connection every minute’ ticked, but I’m not certain it is required.

f) Optionally, if you have historical data in Meteohub that you wish to transfer to WD, before you first connect to Meteohub find and edit the [Davis Download] section of WDISPLAY.INI.
That section contains the clue that WD uses when it starts up to tell how far back to ask Meteohub for data, e.g.

[Davis download]
hour=8
minute=48
day=24
month=12
year=2008

would tell WD to request data starting from 0848 on 24th December 2008.

N.B. WD should not be running when you edit WDISPLAY.INI!

That should be it for the main setup, and WD & Meteohub should be talking.

When you start a Meteohub connected WD “Meteohub missed history data extraction” window will appear.

What WD is doing is collecting data that Meteohub has recorded since WD was last running. During this phase WD requests a minute’s worth of logged data at a time until it gets up to date.

On my WD computer the catchup collection of around 8 to 9 hours of overnight data takes 20 minutes or more.

If there is a very large volume of “missed data”, WD will close itself after it has collected around 16 days worth. To resume collection just start WD again and it will pick up from where it left off.
N.B. The 16 days at a time limit only applies to collection of “missed data”. Collection of “live” data is a different matter and I’m not aware of any limit to that.

When WD has finished collecting ‘missed data’ it starts collecting “live” data.

If you would like to take a look at the “live” data arriving, you can see it in:

WD => View => WS2010-13/WS2500 data logger setup/info

That’s it.

Please post any related questions in this thread.