Getting our Weather Display on to our school website

I wonder if someone would be good enough to point me in the right direction for simple, straightforward directions as to how to get the weather data to appear on our school website. I have searched forums and feel I need a simple guide to how to get going on this, since we have not yet reached the level that most of the questions about this seem to be posed at.

Where is the data going to come from? Do you have a weather station? Are you using Weather Display? Is the school website run by the school on one of their servers or hosted on a server someplace else?

Give us more to go on and we should be able to help…

Hi and welcome…I take it from your email address that you are UK based. What type of weather station have you got and what is the weather software programme that you are using?

There are numerous forum members here who should be able to help and give advice with your project. The more information you can give us the easier it will be. :wink:

Edit: Dan above just beat me to it… 8O

As Johnny Five say’s “Need more input”.

Sorry - I assumed that we were all using the same software! Yes, the school has a weather station. The software is Weather Display Live (I don’t know the version but will come back to you). The school website is hosted by Synetrix (as are all schools in the London Grid for Learning UK). I will contact the school and get more precise details of the weather station and the software if that is necessary, but I hoped someone would say, “download these instructions from the WeatherDisplay web site”. Anyway, if that is enough for someone to go on, I’d be most grateful.

What you have said so far is helpful. Good, you do have Weather Display. WDLive! is the add-on for a live webpage with current live data. I have not followed that path yet so others will be able to help. You will need access to the server and a folder etc. Are you going to host a webpage but within a network and not to the public?

We have folks show up here who are very unclear on the concepts so it pays to ask questions so as to provide good information.

Weather Display and Weather Display Live are two different software packages. Weather Display will collect and archive the data from your weather station and create and upload a webpage. Weather Display Live is a Flash application that can provide a near realtime display of data generated from Weather Display.

If you have Weather Display working correctly collecting the data from your weather station, and you know the FTP login for your website, and the directory structure of your website (you may want to set up a new directory for the weather page), then Action, Setup Webpage Wizard is the quickest way to get a basic webpage working.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I am still working at it and have managed to get some data on to the website (www.poplar.merton.sch.uk/weatherdisplay) but it is an evaluation version so more work needed. I gather I have to enter a serial number into the wdconfig file. I’ll keep you posted.

In Weather Display, you will need to click on the Register button at the top, email the code you find in there to the directions given and a code will be sent back just for that PC only and there will be instructions with the reply. For WDLive!, that is a different process but you will have instructions for that too.

Keep it up! At least you have something working!

TokKiwi

for WDL, when you wish to purchase, include the URL to the WDL web site
then the registration code provided by Julian you enter into the .xml config file, in the registration section, and re upload that edited .xml to your web site

Now we have a Poplar weatherstation (viewable www.poplar.merton.sch.uk/weatherdisplay) but it is not updating. I thought I had everything right in the ftp settings in the control panel of Weather Display but clearly not. I have asked Julian to comment on the error message, but in case anybody else feels like chipping in, here it is again. I think this must be stopping the ftping which I had set at 15 mins, but I don’t understand why when using the wizard to do the settings and create a web page, what is actually displayed on the site is quite different. How does my designed webpage get to the host server (which is not us, by the way, it is Synetrix in common with all other Merton schools).

list of files uploaded*
actual messages from upload session*
Start Time/date:11:01:11 AM 9/16/2008
Permanent connection selected
Permanent connection, will do ftp now
Internet sharing…
ERROR: 11004: [11004] Valid name, no data record (check DNS setup) at time/date
11:01:13 AM 9/16/2008 agenda item:
Doing abort procedure/program close…

"ERROR: 11004: [11004] Valid name, no data record (check DNS setup) at time/date "

Is frequently a Firewall issue… Need to make sure any Firewall has WD allowed including all the related functions such as ftpupd.exe and WeatherD.exe…

-Bob

Yes this can happen - with a recent Weather Display Upgrade, there was a change to the FTPUPD.exe file and the checksum will be different so it may need re-approval as a program.

Internet sharing...
untick to use internet sharingm in the connections setup, in the ftp/internet setup (not normaly used)

Thanks for all the suggestions. Internet sharing was not ticked, and the checksum suggestion meant nothing to me. However, for future questions on this matter, the answer is that the local machine did not support DNS and I had to put in the webserver’s IP address rather than its name. This did the trick. I have a further problem, but I’ll start a new thread.