Brrr - strange weather in Idaho/Oregon

It’s about 42 degrees F this evening at my station east of Boise Idaho. Snow level is going to be at 4000 feet tonight, and the local weather office is including a chance of rain/snow mix for Boise. There has never been snow observed in June at the airport weather station, which began record keeping in the 1940’s. The previous station location recorded a trace of snow in June 1914.

Meacham Oregon http://www.wunderground.com/US/OR/Meacham.html , north west of Boise, at an altitude of 4000 ft. in the Blue Mountains, is under a heavy snow warning this evening, and received 14 inches of snow accumulation today according to the Boise office.

8O 8O 8O 8O

Heat wave was a problem in mid-Atlantic and Northeast…a heavy snow in Idaho…Gotta be too cold out there. Travel difficulties on snow covered roads and limited visibilities…will be a main problems… .

I would think after the snow in June the Global Warming fanatics will have to rethink. Granted its been near 100 on the East Coast the past 4 or 5 days, but it is almost Summer.

From the NWS discussion this morning out of the Boise office:

unusually cold system is presently moving through the County Warning Area...and will move off to the east during the day. This system has brought significant snows to the intermountain west...particularly NE Oregon...central Idaho...and western Montana. The snow will end today in our area...departing to the east as the upper system moves off. Cold temperatures will remain however... {snip} a brief mixture of rain and snow at the Airport in Boise around 11 PM has become only the second reported trace of snow in Boise in June ever. The first was in 1914 when the official records were kept in downtown Boise...making this the first ever trace of snow in June at the current Boise observation location.
Funny coincidence that this cold spell came a day or two after I read this article: [b]Sun goes longer than normal without producing sunspots[/b] http://www.montana.edu/cpa/news/nwview.php?article=5982
The sun has been laying low for the past couple of years, producing no sunspots and giving a break to satellites. {snip} The scientists said periods of inactivity are normal for the sun, but this period has gone on longer than usual. {snip} Tsuneta said solar physicists aren't like weather forecasters; They can't predict the future. They do have the ability to observe, however, and they have observed a longer-than-normal period of solar inactivity. In the past, they observed that the sun once went 50 years without producing sunspots. That period coincided with a little ice age on Earth that lasted from 1650 to 1700.

Only 3 inches of snow at my place at the moment… #-o

Meanwhile the northern end of CA, not that far from Boise, is having a very hot week with temps around 100F :crazy:

We’re calling it JUNuary around her. :slight_smile:

I’m in San Francisco right now… is it normal for water temps to be ~10C this time of year? 8O

Shivering my knee caps off this evening taking some photos on a hill, that wind off the pacific is chilly!!

Yep, maybe they’ll realise that ‘Climate Change’ is perhaps a more appropriate term…

Yep, the water is around 50F/10C all the time. It’s the California Current that runs down the coast bringing nice cold water from the north, add the onshore wind and it keeps the coast cool and foggy most of the year. Go a few miles inland and it will be really toasty today.

:hotsun:  I live in the MidWest and obviously have it all:  snow, hot, cool, rainy, humidity, windy, etc.  However I am partial to snow (snowbunny :) ) and find this late spring snow in Montana, Idaho, etc. interesting.   Hopefully all this snow will renew the resevoirs that have been down the last couple of years.  The following link is to a NOAA website article that talks about a new sunspot cycle.  It mentions that sunspot activity is related to stronger storms, etc.  

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2008/20080104_sunspot.html

we had snow the week of June 12th!! 4inchs btw here in nw montana