WeatherLink missing APRS Data

I’m successfully posting APRS data to findu and the other sites, BUT, WeatherLink is not posting most of the rain data - even though the system has it. How can I get the Rain Data to post in the APRS stream as well?

Neal

Hi
if you use the weather display software to get your data to CWOP, then the rain data will be correct
just an idea

Nwestwood, In WL Make sure your “Bulletin” and “summary” windows are open. After 24 Hours, they will report all your rain data. Don’t ask me why, it just does. One of the reasons I’m on this board now… as I may be taking Windy’s advice in the near future. :smiley:

You have to have the bulletin window open because 24 hour rain is not a data value provided by the console. A running total has to be calculated from the live data stream (hence the need for the bulletin window). Unfortunately, WeatherLink doesn’t do what WeatherDisplay and VPLive do - that is, initialize the 24 hour running rain total using the archived/logged data when the program starts. Thats why WeatherLink doesn’t start sending rain until 24 hours of continuous operation have elapsed - it takes it that long to accumulate its first 24 hours of data.

Steve
SoftWx

I am having this problem with my WeatherLinkIP and HauteSpot devices, but not my VWS with the CWOP add-on. That makes sense, if it’s not a console value. They don’t transmit “RAIN 24HR” to CWOP/APRS, so MADIS/MESOWEST doesn’t pick it up. But… they do transmit “RAIN MN” - does anyone know what that is? I thought “Month” but I’m not convinced by the data that it is.

I think that’s rain since midnight.

Only 24 hour rain is ingested into MADIS, so that is the most important rain value to send to CWOP.

Steve
SoftWx

Hi,

I’m running Weatherlink 5.8.3 with Bulletin open, and a VP2. My rain data was being sent to CWOP just fine until a few hours ago when the 1 hour rain and 24 hour rain became … in the data (DW2736).

I don’t know why this is happening, as it’s still raining, and the data displayed on the console and within Weatherlink look just fine.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Jim

Weatherlink has to accumulate 1 hour of data before it starts sending 1 hour rain to CWOP, and has to accumulate 24 hours of data before it starts sending 24 hour rain. This is because the console does not keep track of these values directly. So, if you close the bulletin window and reopen it, these accumulated values get reset, and you have to wait for the data to accumulate. They could initialize these accumulated values with archive data, but they don’t.

Steve

thanks for that detailed explanation there Steve :wink: