no data returned (new installation, SuSE 9.0)

I’ve just installed Linux weather-display onto a EPIA M6000-based system. The program runs fine, but doesn’t retrieve any data from the station.

Weather Link from the station is working properly when I connect the station to my Powerbook. There are no extraneous cables, just the Weatherlink connecter (DB9 to RJ, from Davis) and the phone cord to the datalogger.

I haven’t yet tried any other weather software (will try Meteo tomorrow). I can’t prove that the serial connection is working, but have no reason to doubt it.

This is a new Linux box, and I don’t know how to translate Unix port names to the COM1/2/3 that weather-display uses.

Anyone have any suggestions? TIA

Com port in linux are /dev/ttyS0 = com port 1, /dev/ttyS1 = com port 2, etc…
In should be visible here… file:/dev
However, I think your problem is that sometimes the com port is not coming up correctly. If you select the com port again (even if it is correct) and reselect the weather station type (even if it is correct) it should fix the issue.
The only other issue with the linux version of WD is that the images are being “cut off” and I believe some may be having ftp problems.
I am currently on the dark side (ie windows :slight_smile: ) I think the best linux wd website is currently JRaubal.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Hmm, tried resetting the port name and station name (set them to something else, then back to correct values); tried com1 and com2 (the board has a second com port on it that isn’t connected to the backplane). No joy. I’ll try plugging something into that serial port tomorrow and see whether I can see any data coming through.

If that doesn’t work, you might try http://meteo.othello.ch/ or http://www.dotfunk.com/projects/weatherupdate/. You might be able to find out if it is a WD issue or a linux issue. They do require MySQL and python, though.

And I miss spoke, com port is here, /dev

~Chris~

Most new versions of linux pretty much have the com ports turned off by default, for some reason. Try opening a terminal window, become su, and typing

chmod uog+rw /dev/ttys0 or
chmod uog+rw /dev/ttys1

depending on which com port the station is plugged into. That should open the com port, and keep it open, even if you have to reboot.

Jeep’s advice was spot on; the permissions were not set correctly. Anyone running a recent Linux distro should check this point.

I’m still not up and running, however. In addition to weather-update, I’ve tried meteo and a simple terminal connection, with no sign that anything is coming out of the serial port. So it looks like I am experiencing some sort of hardware problem, and will be going back to the vendor for help.

Yay–confirmed that I have a power supply from a defective batch which fails to power the lone serial port in the backplane. Nice to know that I wasn’t going crazy.