Wind direction disparity

Hi to the WxD Forum,

Of little consequence but I have just noticed, after a clear wind direction change six hours ago, a disparity with the Wind Direction plot.
Actual observations had the wind steady in the NE and changing to the SW six hours ago but the wind dir plot indicates that it has been a steady SW for twelve hours !
(see display below - if no picture then would someone tell me how to place a graphic in please?)

Comment?

It should be from your site, this correct?

I do see the difference with the WD program image.
http://www.tokaanuskihire.co.nz/simon/spreydonweather.gif

Chris

it uses the file
direrction.inf
in the datafiles folder
is that file time stamp up to date?
any errors under view, program error log?
does it look ok in the program, when you click on the wind direction dial?
i just checked mine, and its plotting ok

Spreydon’s month to date graph looks a bit off also for the direction:

http://www.tokaanuskihire.co.nz/simon/monthtodate.gif

Thanks for the comments guys,

1. I think what I meant to say is that my Wind Direction plot is recording a six hour plot and not a twelve hour plot as indicated in the heading. The circular bands could be considered as one hour increments, not two!
    Brian I can’t make head nor tail of the direction.inf file - all gibberish! So I don’t know what the time stamping situation is.

2. I am still none the wiser as to how to put an image up on this forum when required.

time stamp:
i just meant right mouse click on the file to see what time it was updated by wd

ok, if its a 6 hour plot, then its being updated 2x in a row…for you…for some reason…
i will investigate wehn i get a chance
(i think others have had this problem)

Thanks for the comments guys, 2) I am still none the wiser as to how to put an image up on this forum when required.
OK, let's fix that. The image has to be on an accessible web server, in other words upload it to the same place your webpage lives. Hit the Img button, type the url of the image with http:// in front (note that it is case sensitive), hit the Img button again. Hit preview to make sure it works.

So in the compose window you will see something like

[code:1]

[/code:1]

with an Img tag at either end, and the result will be (hit the right mouse button and select properties on this image to see the url).

i think i found where i am updating it 2x (which makes it 6 hour instead of 12 hour)
uploading the fix now

re images:
i know of a forum just like this one were you can upload images direct to the forum server :slight_smile:
maybe chris could turn on that function :slight_smile:http://www.templeton.gen.nz/forum/

Thanks again guys,

Nikoshepherd for “how to get a graphic up” and Brian for the explaination of 6 versus 12 hour on wind direction.

I can approach both subjects now with a little more commonsense!

try a new beta version
(the zip has been updated, download that)

Hi Weather Watchers,

Just to conclude this thread an experiment to see if I can get the originally quoted graphic up and running: -

Thanks for the help.

Let’s try it with http in front!

You current dir plot should be set up like this …

[img] http://www.tokaanuskihire.co.nz/simon/dirplot.gif [/img]
Without the space between the [img] and the address and the address and the [/img]

~Chris~

Hi Chris,

I uploaded my graphic “Wind_dir 01.jpg” to my website and appeared to do everything properly on my last reply. However I note under the failed graphic “properties” that it has translated the graphic as “Wind_dir 01.jpg” as “Wind_dir%2001.jpg”.
Is this a case of Windows reading 01 as a date? I’ll rename the file, up load it again and see what happens.

Nope under preview I see the new file name “Windder.jpg” is there but it is not finding the graphic.

i ftp’d into the server simon, and those files do not exist, and that is why they cant be shown…
somethign went amiss with your uploading of those images by the looks

Thanks Brian - I tried mannual upload again with “Windder.jpg” and while the FTP clicked into gear - no upload - viz:-

[i]list of files uploaded*

actual messages from upload session*
Finshed email agenda
Finshed email agenda, and more Internet agenda items to do…
Logging onto FTP server…ftp.tokaanuskihire.co.nz
Connecting to FTP server.
Connected.
220-
220-Welcome to tokaanuskihire.co.nz!
220-
220 tokaanuskihire.co.nz FTP server ready.
USER tokaanuskihire
331 Password required for tokaanuskihire.
PASSWORD=****
230 User tokaanuskihire logged in.
TYPE I
200 Type set to I.
CWD /home/tokaanuskihire/www/simon
250 CWD command successful.
Checking for next FTP agenda…
there are 1 more things to do
Checking there are files to upload
No files to upload
All Agenda complete, doing FTP log off…
FTP logoff
QUIT
221-You have transferred 0 bytes in 0 files.
221-Total traffic for this session was 336 bytes in 0 transfers.
Disconnected.
221 Thank you for using the FTP service on tokaanuskihire.co.nz.
Doing abort procedure/program close…[/i]

Comment?

i just tested a manual upload of the file, with the latest beta of WD (which should fix the wind direction plotting bug you found), and the latest ftpupd.exe version , and it worked
(sorry)
so, try the latest version of WD, as I know I did find and fix a bug with the manual upload of a file
thanks

Thanks Brian:

I think part of my problem is correctly describing the ftp host: -

I notice that under my FTP Setup the remote directory name is “/home/tokaanuskihire/www/simon”. - I have been listing it as “www/tokaanuskihire.co.nz/simon/”.

So I am unclear as to what the correct URL for finding files in my remote (tokaanuskihire) should be.

Still doesn’t get over my inability to upload “Windder.jpg” thru WD’s FTP “Manual Upload” though.

can you gain access to your files on the server you upload to ie using the manage your ftp server from action menu

try host server as www.tokaanuskihire.co.nz and /simon/ as your remote directory in ftp setup and see if it works

which version of wd are you trying to do the manual upload with?