1-wire solar - setup

Had my solar running for a couple of days, but it doesnt seem to work as i think it shoud.
I’m located at 65.52 N, and if i’m correct, WD do take this is mind when calculating the max radiation etc. I’ve doublechecked my long/lat settings and they should be ok.
The MV on my solar seems to max out at 249.7, so i set the max MV to 250. However, with sun from 6 in the morning, it wont display that it is sunny until about 6 hours later. It just say it partly or mostly clody, even when there is a clear blue sky.

Should i reduce the setting for the max MV down to like 100, so that it might show that it is sunny outside or would this not be a good idea for the rest of the day?

Arnt

Hi

Have you got a diffuse on top of the photodiode, ?
I have used a table tennis ball as a diffuse this gives optimum results and millivolts is set to 200

Please see link for ideas I have used Weather-Above 1 wire mods

mik :slight_smile:

Hi Mik,

Ty for the input. Do i have to extend the diode, or can i just put the half table-tennis ball on top of the box that house the diode?

Do you get any error msg with your sensor, like a floating error at night?
If not (and if not much trouble), could you pls attach your setup in the solar setup section.

Arnt

the sunny weather condition is when the calculated solar % is over the threshold you set for sunny (default is 80%)…you can change that

make sure you have ticked to use this calculation in the solar setup, 1 wire solar, and ticked compare max etc
also use the latest version of wd to try and avoid the floating point error

Hi

I have modified my 1-wire solar sensor becuase it got overloaded - see this link:

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/p/150693

I have also mounted the solarsensor in a diffuser - I have used the top of a nosespray - you can se pictures here:

www.buskelundtoften.dk/vejret/english/udstyr.php

Remember to check your tresholds of the solar-% in the solar setup.

Best regards,

Henrik

Hi Henrik,

Did you use the sensor without exdending the diode at first? If so, what was the difference from the first reading vs the reading in your current setup?

My diode is inside a waterproof box, will i gain any accuracy or something if only putting a nosespray-top ontop of the box?

Arnt

Hi

After the modifcation the mv output went from about 250 mv to 175 mv. After that I havent experienced problems with the solar sensor overloading.

At first I used the solar sensor in the box that I bought from Hobby Boards. But after some time I put the solar diode into the hat from a nose spray - ie. I extended the diode about 5 cm. I have heard of others that have extended the diode about 40-50 cm. without any problems.

About the accuracy - you can adjust the maximum miliwolt output in WD so it fits to 100% solar.

Best regards,

Henrik

Hi
I haven’t come across the floatingpoint at night for the solar sensor

I am getting a floatingpoint for my UV sensor ?

I have recently updated my webpage with some more information on mounting the 1 wire solar sensor
from hobby boards,

http://www.weather-above.com/mounting%20solar%20sensor.html

mick

0098.PNG