Non XWindows version ?

I’m using WDL and considering to install the Linux server on my server @ home. Is there a non XWindows version ? I just need to generate clientraw files and perhaps a database of everything (mysql ?).

not yet
but I am trying to clear my desk to start on that project
(but by the time I answer all the emails and forum questions there is not alot of time left to do much else)

Hi Brian… are you going to do that project from the ground up, or perhaps just add into the existing code some form of config, if its enabled, do all the graphical stuff, if not enabled, just do the output files… i was thinking about that awhile ago, and never got around to suggesting it.

I assume the ground up project would have a smaller tighter codebase, but everything you need is already in the existing executable.

Just a couple Sunday evening thoughts…

This is a nice idea !

… and I have a suggestion. It will be a nice idea to keep all of this data in a MYSQL database for the futur. After that, it will be pretty simple to provide more statistics and compare with others …

Wait for the Beta version ! :wink:

WD can feed a mysql database, that functionality is already included.

yes, wd linux does have mysql available
but I should be able to provide that ability via a console version too

Great ! (for the mysql abilities)

About Linux without xwindows, my point is:

• I have a linux server, and use it for a couple of things (backup server, samba server, email server, web server, ftp for data, pictures for album, etc.) and of course, I did not installed Xwindows. I control this server via SSH and it’s enough for my needs. It is simple and safe.

• Xwindows is nice but I don’t have to support it and in fact, I don’t use it, so my server is also faster and more reliable.

… So, just add a deamon to provide raw files and mysql data will be very interesting, just to provide data for WDL, the application will be also lighter.

Let us know when this project could start. I will offer my time to test it (I am a really poor programmer) :wink:

Could be just a light web server in PHP?

This is a great idea. I run a Clarkconnect linux firewall/server (www.clarkconnect.org) in my house which deliberately does not use any xwindows front end for security reasons. It would be great to have a console method of connecting my Davis Vantage Pro Weather Envoy terminal to the server (RS232) and directly generate the clientraw.txt files needed for WDL.
Peter

This would actually probably solve my problems as well. . . Are you thinking about making the linux side of things open source? given it’s C++, modules and such could be community driven. Some of us are pretty good programmers. . .

Also, a ‘feature’ request I would have is that it be pretty self sufficient and not require things like php to run.

if i get it updating the clientraw.txt file,(i.e it will be just donationware) then you can build your own modules around that and make those available, e.g a mysql modeule, etc

Honestly, that would be a great place to start and probably all I would need. I could simply write a I/O routine to read that on the fly and pipe it up to my main processor and crunch the numbers in mm3 up there.

I should be able to get something out by the end of weekend all going well

Please remenber you do have registered users with the linux version I am one of them.
Coyote

not sure what you are meaning

I am a fan for a non-gui version - I’ve done a little (very little) background work on the concept of writing a simple daemon that just grabs the raw data from a station and saves it to a database or makes it available on a socket. A client can then access it in whatever way suits best, either locally or over a network, and can do what it wants with it. Should be simple and lightweight.

This would be great! Could me in!

making good progress
I am able to use the existing code from the normal version (i.e just need to copy/paste needed bits)
I have a version working with the Irox, updating the main logfile and the main data files (so that they can be copied to a window or x windows version if need be, or even to read across a network for a client version of WD)
next I need to get it to update the clientraw files

Interesting project Brian - a minimised data collection and clientrawtxt.txt function for users ability to port however they wished. And to work with the myriad of wx stns you have the normal software working with! just some parameters to choose the stn type and its away. :slight_smile:

Donationware of course…

I have the clientraw.txt working good now too (next I will need to add in the clientrawextra.txt, etc)
(but that will require all time records info…not sure if that is needed with this simple basic console version?)
I have also added in wunderground upload ability (optional)
but just having a bit of trouble with the UTC via the liblunar.so file…error while linking

I could even add in FTP support for the clientraw.txt files to a FTP server