Random Crash with 9.97h

I have been having a crash problem that occurs at Midnight, but not every night. I the last week, it has happened twice, but always at midnight. No error screen, just no WD running when I get up in the morning. Running Win2K on a P3 700 w/512 ram. NO other programs running on this machine, it is dedicated to WD. This started around Nov 29th, and has been happening since I installed 9.97h. Thanks for the help in advance.

is it still happening with the new month?
what happens when you go action, update averages/extreme?

Still happened in Dec. I did the update… all went fine. Hmmmm… this looks like a tough one to figure out… I’ll keep you informed when it happens again (if it does!) Thanks for your help!!!

I’ve had exactly the same thing happen two nights in a row since installing the beta version.

I had this behaviour with 9.97f (and I think 9.97e). It has happened once with 9.97h but after lots of checking and installing Windows updates the problem has not re-occurred. I attributed the crashes to something other than WD 9.97h. I’ll watch to see if I see any other repeatable incidents occur.

there is the zip routine that happens just before midnight (you can change the time of that)

9.97h been runing here for over 2 days with no problems, and i have it doing everything its capable of

Looking at the .zip’s that’s exactly the time it shut down. Works fine from the zip it now button in h and beta. I’ll try a different time and see what happens.

What’s the zip zipping? Is there a way to deactivate it?

yes, you can turn that off, under setup, back up your data

its creates a zip back up of the current main log file and current main data file, and wdisplay.ini from c:\windows or c:\winnt and it exports and adds your WD internet settings from the registry, all stored as a date/time stamped zip file in the databackup folder
pretty cool really

What version did this get added?

been there for a month now

Down again at midnight last night. Seems to be every other night now.

can you see what time this happened in the log file (i.e dailylog.txt or 122003lg.txt)
i.e it will be a certain event that wd is doing
if its the averages/extreme update, then it will be just after midnight
if its the zip, then it will be just before midnight
try action, update averages/extreme

i.e you need to supply as much info as possible so that i can see where the problem is

I don’t see anything going on in the log files. I did do a backup right now to zip, and all went well. I also did the extremes and again, all went well. If you send me your e-mail, I can send you the log files if you think it would help. Thanks for all your help…

what i mean is look in the log files to see when wd stopped updating in the log file, so that you know when wd crashed…that will help pin point any problems

email:
its under help, about, in WD
i.e
[email protected]
:wink:

remember to zip things first before emailing me anything, as i only have a 28k connection (broadband internet is not available where I live)

On the way. Thanks!

Did you try changing the time of, or turning off the zip? I changed the time and so far it’s OK.

I have turned off the backup… I’ll let you all know! Thanks for the help!

i will make it so this is off by default if its causing problems (but they do not seem to be veyr widespread problems)

i have created a monstor, and its alive