6162c vantage pro2 - need longer cable, advice on wire type - splice or extend?

Hi,

I seriously looking into the possibility of getting a vantage pro2 … either the 6162c or the 6152c.

Yes, I’d like the wireless … but the reliability of the cabled seems better and its a way to save over $115
on the 6162 for example.

So I measured how far I would need from my office to the unit, and (the included) 100’ cable won’t cut it.

So I’m thinking I need more like 150’ to 200’ to put it where I really want it.

So is the best way to order a 200’ cable or to buy an extension of some sort?

I need to know what type of cable is used and what type of connectors on both ends would be needed.

And if someone things I’m making a mistake going wired, please let me know why. I know wireless would be darn handy … but I’m really thinking I won’t be moving it around much and could run the wires out my basement, onto a fence and basically out the site.

Thanks in advance!!

Scott

Ok, so I bit the bullet and put in my order for a 6162c …

I need to know how to get my wire out 200’ the easiest, either
by buying a loinger phone cord or using a coupler or something.
Do I need to buy a Davis cord or would any decent phone cord work?

Also, do I need to make provisions to handle lightnight … i.e. grounding …
or could I just plug it into the telco in/out jacks on my surge suppressor?

i would tend to think that using a more sheilded type cable than plain old telephone type wire would be the best thing to do

I use a Davis extension cable with my unit but any reasonable quality telephone cable should be fine. The Davis extension cable comes with a RJ11 joiner but would definitely recommend using waterproof splices on the join unless the joint is inside. Screened cable not required unless you have a specific problem with high RF levels or other interference.

Be very careful not to cross over the wires. If you don’t buy the Davis cable then splicing a new section into the original is probably the best way to go because then you are sure the connections are correct.

Thanks for the good advise thus far!

What does the RJ11 joiner look like? Are we talking about a female to female
telco coupler?

I’m also interested in if grounding (lighting protection) is necessary.

I may be able to run a 50’ from my office to the point where the wire is about to
go outside the house, then couple it there (inside) to the 100’ cord that it comes
with. It’ll be close, but 150’ will probably be enough.

I thought I saw a coupling kit somewhere (farm supply catalog) for the Davis where
it basically looking like they used those waterproof screw on caps that you use for
hooking up sprinkler valves (with the waterproof gel in them) …

Davis specifies 26 AWG which seems rather small. Is that typical telco cord?

In their extension kit they include standard telecom splices, these things. You push the (not stripped) wires into them, and squeeze them with pliers to make the connection, there is gel inside for waterproofing.

Yes, 26 AWG is common.

The problem with phone extensions/couplers you might buy at the supermarket is that there is no guarantee that they maintain the polarity, they should but I have seen ones that don’t.

My main problem was that Davis (resellers) want $40 for 100’ of cable … seems excessive for something I could get locally for $10 … was just wondering if there was something special about it.

When I needed to extend the cable from the temp/hum lead to the transmitter on that unit I put in the attic, I found that I needed a six wire rig rather than the four wire ( you should check how many wires you need , just look at the plug and count).

I had to get it done in a pinch , so I added strands of wire from the hobby shop. I severed the cable, and did my wire solder joints and we are still in business. not the greatest looking thing, but until I go up and get the thing down and do a proper splice, it works flawless.

You might be able to use hobby wire in the right lengths . If I had it my way, I would get the longer cable, run it out to your station. Splice it, use a solder connection if you are up for that, or use the wire splices as above with the crimp connectors, tape it very well with a water proof plastic tape, wrap the joint in a plastic baggy, rubber band each end, and the middle and keep it dry and be happy.

I would guess the color coding and wiring are guaranteed to match the existing cable. If you are confident of your electrical wiring and continuity checking skills you can save $30.

I will say… .use electrical solder… preferably the thinner gauge. and practice a bit before doing this…

The wires under the insulation, are very thin and a pain to work with, but that is why I solder. One other thing… at least if there is a wire failure, you do know where to look first. Also, make sure each wire is insulated from the other wires. OR… you could figure up some junction box similar to the ISS box as a plug in relay.

I had thought of doing that with my anemometer as it is a pain to unplug the wire each time I had to replace my FARS motor ( which on last look was working, thank Bob…)

Make sure the wire jacket is UV rated or it will break down from the sun in a year or two.

Good advice folks … thanks.

I also have to cross two gates in the fence, so I was thinking about buying some small diameter PVC and running the cable through that, just below the surface. What kind of pains does that get me into?

I would use the grey colored electrical PVC big enough for the plug to fit thought. You will have to pull a string thought one at a time or glue it all together and use a vacuum cleaner to pull string 150 feet. They have a little fuzzy ball to tie to end of string to help pull string thru. I would pull two strings in case you want to add something else later.

OMG

Well, I would hope that the cable provided by Davis would be something that would last more than a year or two.

I was think PVC for under the gates, but not the enter 150’ run … ouch!

This cabled solution just keeps getting worse all the time. Where are all the happy cabled
vantage pro users that haven’t had to do all this?

Boy, if I had known 50% of these issues, I would have gone solar/wireless.

So is this just being nitpicky, or do I have to ground my cable ? I’m just getting sour in a hurry with all the problems/concerns about lightning.

I wouldn’t say I live in a terribly bad lightning area, but we do have thunderstorms every summer … and some have a fair amount of lightning in them. I’m not at the top of a hill or anything, actually kind of the bottom of hill (had flooding problems a couple years back). I’m not putting the ISS on a tall antenna or anything … just want a reliable station for my sprinkler system and for personal interest.

Oh I wouldn’t worry about Lightining damage… one zap and everything is fried regardless of the ground