Testers needed for direct support of the WH1080/1081 "Watson" station

HI
With the help of Yves, I have a simple test program (which if this works I can add the routine to WD)
download and install to whereever these files:
http://www.weather-display.com/downloadfiles/project1080.zip

and then run the project1080.exe (double click)
then click on Open
then click on Read

and let me know what shows up at the end for the data

works correct here, but I need to know if it works Ok for others
thanks!

update: the latest full install update of WD now has the option to tick use direct in the weather station type, WH1080 setup
(then dont run easy weather anymore_
and that is working for me in testing very nicely (gives 1 minute updates as opposed to only 5 mintue updates when using easy weather)
(but I need to add in history data extraction still)
ps, the reception range from the sensors is better than my Davis VP1 with this station

update: after working nicely for an hour, now getting only 0’s for data back from the station
so that is no good

Hi Brian,

I tried the latest version of WD (10.37j Build 13) with the option to read the WH-1080 directly. But the values are different to those read from the data file and also different to that shown on the station’s LCD. Same with the Project1080.exe.

Another problem is also when using the data file. Normally it run’s o.k., but sometimes the airpressure drops some mbar as you can see on the image but this can’t be seen in the easyweather.dat. For example the pressure at 8:13 drops to about 1009 mbar (which should be hPa BTW) but in the dat-file the pressure at 8:10 and 8:15 ist 1021.7 (5 minutes readout intervall).

CU

Michl

what is the raw data showin the test program and in WD under view, ws2010/ws2500 data setup?
also, you can set to show hpa instead of mb in wd, in the units setup

The logs are in the two files attached, I hope it helps.
Changing the unit to hPa as suggested in the units setup doesn’t make any difference at least in the graphs.
After I set WD to read out the WH-1080 directly again, now it shows 25.8 mm rain for today, but it’s realy dry outside :wink: I tried to correct this via action → view and modify …, but can’t remove this value.

p1080.txt (735 Bytes)

wd.txt (2.59 KB)

use the barometer offset and rainfall setup to remove rain totals like that

I have the console using the default units
and so wd is OK for me in WD
i.e on the console its metric units, and wind in kmh
is that when you change the units on the console, that WD?

Hi
I have the linux version working now too…but similar problem…but not until I moved the mouse on the PC…which is what seemed to be happening on the windows version too…if left completly alone (i.e pc not used) then it ran OK…
so I am going to try re opening the port when the data starts going wrong

HI
a new .zip update is ready to test that theory out (the theory is working in the linux version I am testing at the moment)

.zip Does not seem to make any difference to me. For what it is worth, from my experience reopening the port does not seem to make any different. If I restart weather display (which I assume reopens the port) it does not seem to fix the issue. Also when not working, I can use the tool above and values are not correct even when you first open the app and collect the data.

When I had my weather station to store date every 5 minutes, the problem looked like it was reasonable consistent with about 45 minutes of working, follow by roughly 45 minutes of wrong data. I tried rolling back to 30 minutes between stores, and initially it looked like the consistent time window was there, but approx 4 hour cycles. However over the last 24 hours it is less consistent and mostly seems to not work.

hummm, back to the drawing board then by the looks
the linux version seemed to go better with that re open the com port…but I see now after 7 hours of good operation, it has now some incorrect data :frowning:

Further to the above, with weather station set to store data every 30 minutes, it seems to be very regular changes from working to not working. eg times as follows :-
10:46am started working
2:15pm stopped working
6:46pm started working
10:14pm stopped working
2:43am started working
6:13am stopped working

From previous testing if I drop data storage to 5 minutes this regular interval drops to about 45 minutes.

on my linux test, I am seeing wrong data, lasting for 50 minutes, occuring regularly, every 8 hours or so
so yes I think its related to the buffer getting full, data wrap around, on the c0nsole…

i made a change that Yves suggested
in a new .zip update,ready now
try that
(soak testing here at the moment too)

Hi Windy,
how do I give this a go as very much interested in getting this working correctly? Is this the proj1080 file you have, and do I extract to the wdisplay dir and use the direct option to enable it.??

Hi
I have updated the main WD install program now too
so download and install that from the WD download page
then install and run WD
then select your units
and then select the WH1081 station type in the weather station type setup and tick use direct
(and then do not have easy weather running)
next minute you should see data in WD (updated each minute)

might be too early to tell yet, but this update is a winner here anyway :slight_smile:

We’ll so far it is looking quite good. Put the update on at around 1700hrs and looks like it is getting stable updates from the weather station. At times the temp and wind speed seem to be out of step, ie station has a different value, and then I realised that WD has the one I had just seen, so like it was one step behind.
Anyway will leave it all running overnight and see what we have tomorrow :slight_smile:

Fingers are crossed though. If all good, then I’ll need to look at what I need to do to rebuild my extreme temps etc, and also remove all the -19 deg errorous data from the files

Sorry, but the values here are still just wrong. According to WD it should have rained 23.7 mm today, and pressure is shown 16 mbar to low, which is not even the absolute pressure.

still running just fine for me

re the barometer:
check maybe you have set a barometer offset in WD?
the barometer in WD matches the console correctly for me

also, for the rain, note that WD stores its own rain records, independent from the station
and so you need to make sure you compare from the same start point
the rain total should increase by 0.3mm a tip
(use the value in the veritcal bar to see the 0.1 resolution ,otherwise set in the misc , advanced setup to show 0.1 mm resolution for the rain gauge)

also WD gets a new reading on the minute…whereas the WH1081 sensors send new data not synced to a clock like that

For what it is worth, no issues for me since the upgrade. However, it is worth mentioning, I was testing the theory that the previous problem was more of a issue when the weather station memory was full and I assume it was rolling the data, which seemed to be true. Since clearing the memory, I was not having issues (at least not that I saw, which meant at the very least it was not regular as it was with the old version and full memory), even on the old version. Anyway, for me to be 100% sure, I assume I will need to wait to the memory is full again. With 5 minute interval, this will take about 2 weeks.

Keep up the good work… :smiley:

the latest .zip should work OK with -ve temperature now
(i tested by having the sensor in the freezer then in a pack of frozen peas (i got the test program working (but by the time I got it working in WD, it had thawed to above 0, so will retest that another time))