Selfclosing network-problem

Hi!

I have a little problem with my wx-pc. It self-close internetconnection (adsl) every now and then #-o and only way to reconnect is reboot the whole machine and now I wonder what it could be what cause it?
Specs:

• 3000+ AMD
  • 1 Gt ram
  • Vista SP1 (I have tested with XP too but problem are still there)
  • Normal adsl-connection

Suggestions?

Henkka

When you say normal ADSL connection what exactly do you mean? Is there an ADSL modem connected to the PC and want is used to connect it (USB or other) or do you have a router on a local Lan? It makes a huge difference.

Stuart

Hi!

It is a ADSL-modem connected to the PC with network-cable and no needs of any logins or silmilar, just plug cable in and you are connected.

Henkka

What make and model modem is it?
On the modem configuration screen does it have a setting to keep connection alive always? make sure it is enabled.
some modems come with a default to disconnect after XX amount of time of inactivity (you do not want that)

It is a Telewell TW-EA510 ADSL modem Router.
I will check that, thanks!

Henkka

I couldn’t find any settings like that, the only what I found was DHCP-settings where I gived wx-pc an own IP-number. #-o

Could it maybe be this one in the DHCP-table wich occour the closing?
Maximum/Default Lease Time 86400 / 43200 seconds

Henkka

No need to change that, do you use “obtain IP address automatically” in Vista DHCP settings?

also check ‘Wan Connection’ modem configuration page you want “Connection” set to “Always On”
and on most modems you should also set “Idle Timeout” to 0

here is the manual I looked at
http://www.easytel.fi/english/pdf_tiedostot/tw-ea510_versio3_manual.pdf

Hi again!

Yes.

I don’t have those options in my config what are in the manual, maybe cause I use 1483 Bridged IP LLC (its autoconfiged/configed by ISP).
And the most strange, my pc closed the internet for me just for about 30 min ago when I worked on it. It just stopped get stuff from internet (and upload wxstuff) and only way get connection back was reboot and the second computer wich is connected to the modem via the WLAN worked just fine… #-o

Update…

It did it again this morning at about midday…Just start wodering if could be in the hardware wich something bad? :-k

Hi Henkka

That is soo strange - have you tried to contact your ISP ?

Some months ago I had a simular problem and my ISP setup monitoring of my line and it turned out to be a bad “something-card” at the ISP central.

Best regards,

Henrik

Hi Henrik!

That’s good to hear someone else have had same kind of problem :wink: No, I haven’t asked them yet but can do it tomorrow, if I remember when their problem-line is open. I often rember these kind of stuff wich not critical in the evening when they are closed LOL

Henkka