1-Wire Lightning Detector with WD Issue?

Hi,

I seem to have a problem with this Lightning Detector working with WD. The detector is working with WD as far as I know, but there is a but, whenever this detector is activated with WD, WD seems to stall. The Data Received, green indicator blinks, but the count does not increase and the display gauges does not change. It takes several blinks for WD to respond with my console and that might take a minute or so. Sometimes the Data Quality count increases. Also, whenever I test the detector with my BBQ lighter, it takes WD about 30-40 seconds to indicate the strike(s). Is this normal?

Has anyone have the WD issue that I am experiencing? If so, what might be the solution?

Thank you for any responses.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

does the device have a good ground? most issues start there. also, what else is on the 1-wire network and what type of cable are you using?

ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reply.

Currently there is no ground. I am still in the testing mode and have not mounted it outside… There are no other 1-wire devices on the 1-wire network. I am using a CAT-5 cable for this device only that is attached to the 1-wire USB adapter directly. The detector seems to be working with WD, but whenever I have the detector enabled, it seems to stall out WD as mentioned previously and when I disable the detector, WD works normally. I wonder if it is a port issue. I was using USB Port 1. I have a web cam attached to one USB port but I don’t know what port the web cam is using. I have not tried any other ports yet. Maybe I should try that and see what happens…

Thanks again for your direction.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Trying a different USB port might help, particularly if its a different “hub” than the webcam.

ED

Hi,

I tried different ports but the results are the same. WD still stalls. Did several WD re-boots also. The Data Received, green indicator blinks, but the count does not increase nor does the gauges responds to what is being displayed from the console. The count increases after a minute of blinking and WD updates what the console is displaying at that moment. Still trying to figure it all out.

Hope a solution can be found.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

make sure you set up in the 1 wire setup that you do not have other 1 wire devices (e.g temperature)
i.e post a screen shot of your use 1 wire as well setup

Hi Brian,

Thank you for looking into my problem. Will try again later this week and will let you know the results.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Brian et All,

Here are some of my screen shots of my Lightning Detector setups. Hope someone will be able to see where I need to solve my issue where WD stalls whenever I activate this Detector. On the bottom of the WD Main Display Screen Shot, is where I see that WD stalls. The top green LED blinks but the count does not increase like it should. It will increase after about 30-45 seconds later and sometime over a minute. When the count does not increase the gauges also stays where the last count is registered.

BTW, just updated WD to 1037j build 11. That is why the count is low.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Lightning Setup.gif

Main Display.gif

Brian et All,

Part two of the previous post as the size of attachment was too large.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Main Setu-up.gif

Com Port Setup.gif

Stan,

How does your rain gauge send data to your system? If its wireless, then I would uncheck the rain gauge type on the 1-wire setup screen.

ED

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the rain gauge is wireless. It is the Vantage Pro wireless system. Is the attachment the area that you are talking about, near the bottom where I have the "Red outlined area? Do I need to un-check that box?

If that is correct then, will try to make that change later this evening and see what happens.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Stan,

That needs to be unchecked. Its only applicable to 1-wire rain instruments.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Unchecked that box and WD still stalls. The Data Received green light blinks but the count does not increase and the Main Display gauges does not update until the count registers and this takes a lot of that green light blinks before the count registers. There must be some thing else that I need to configure properly that I am still missing but cannot find where since the test of the detector works okay with a BBQ lighter spark.

Still searching for a solution.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Which 1-wire drivers are you using?
Are you using downloaded ones Maxim or the ones that came with WD?
If you’re using drivers downloaded from Maxim then make sure you have removed all of the drivers from the wdisplay program file, you’ll find a list of them HERE.

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your input. Will give it a shot and see what happens later tonight. Have to install a kitchen sink today and that might take all day if Murphy’s Law does not kick in. It might be longer or shorter… Hoping for the best.

Thank you again.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

At least you only need screwdrivers for that one Stan!! :lol:

Hi Martin,

Finished installing (replaced) the kitchen sink without Murphay’s Law interfering too much. Took a screwdriver and several wrenches and a hefty heave ho with the old one which was a porcelain/cast iron (very heavy) and replaced it with a stainless steel one.

The driver that I installed was from aagelectronica.com. I renamed those 5 DLL files from WD but WD is still stalling out. The Data Received count won’t increase until a lot of that green LED light blinks. Sometimes it will blink 5-10 time before it increases and updates the Main Display. Most of the times it takes 30-50 blinks before it updates.

I wonder if this is only unique to me or others encountered this problem???

Guess still searching for a solution.

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

Don’t feel lonely Silversword, I’ve just noticed that too.

I received my HB Lightning detector and serial adapter today and just got it temporarily set up. I followed Jaxweathers FAQ to set it up in WD and everything went like clockwork, WD found the chip ID via the serial adapter in COM2, (my WX is plugged into COM1), but I noticed after I’d restarted WD that the data light was flashing intermittantly, and the count wasn’t always increasing.
Before installing the lightning detector the data flash was regular and the count increased with the flash.

I haven’t downloaded any drivers, just using the ones in WD.

Could it be some conflict between the COM ports??

Something else I’ve found is that although the detector is sat here next to my PC inside the house, I’m gettng almost no false strikes, and I’ve tried clicking my piezo lighter near it several times, but they don’t register. Is there any other way of testing it??

Hi Daryll,

I do have the drivers installed by aagelectronica.com and now I have to rename or delete the drivers from WD every time I update WD. I increased my RAM from 512 MB to 1GB and made a test and it did work out once, so I started to install the outside hardware and hope to have it fully installed this weekend if time permits. I don’t know if COM ports are an issue or not but hoping for the best when I get it outside. As for the testing of the detector, the test using a piezo lighter works just fine for me. Make sure that your antenna is connected to the right screw set. Easy to make an error there.

Hope to report all is working some time this weekend.

Good luck with your installation and wish me luck with mine. Report back here if you find a solution.

Thanks for sharing your concerns.

Regards,

–Stan Y.
Maui, Hawaii

note that the WD installer will only install the 1 wire drivers if it does not find those files in the install location
so, make sure you have the needed 1 wire drivers that work for you in that wd install location