Basic website settings

Could SKS help a complete novice with a very basic we upload setup please? I really have the most basic requirement but cannot make sense of the settings. My knowledge of FTP and HTML is NIL! I just want to upload the noname.htm as my sole web page. I know the FTP server name user name and webpage address. The help directs me to Click TAB “Web files” from within setup but there is no such tab. Am I being totally dumb? I just need exact settings for all relevant tabs within setup.

ok, now, the noname comes from the fact you have not specified a station file name
under
setup, setup webfiles/web page, etc
(and the first tab there, web files setup #1)
and you set the station file to use in the top box

you could just set it as index
note, dont add any extension, like .html or .htm
but you need to decide wether to tick use .html or .htm, and this then sets wether the web page url will have .htm or .html on the end

the next part of the setup, is under setup, setup ftp/internet, etc
and the connections tab
and then make sure the main internet switch is ON
and set the ftp server name, username and password
and the remote directotry setting is also important (sometimes its not needed)
then in the tab web upload times, set some times there
then try action, update internet now
then after it has done it
go to view, ftp error log, view full log, and copy/paste what appears there into this forum

Thanks for that. I get NO errors in the FTP log so I assume that the problem is in the setup on my web-pages. I shall abandon the idea.

Hi
in the view, ftp error log, you need to click on view full log
to see the ftp transactions that have taken place, after you go
action, update internet now.
Try that

list of files uploaded*
actual messages from upload session*
Starting to Dial Connection: AnyTime 13.03.2003

Modem change status, # 1
Initializing…
Modem change status, # 2

Modem change status, # 3

Modem change status, # 4

Modem change status, # 5
Disconnected
ERROR: The remote computer did not respond. For further assistance, click More Info or
search Help and Support Center for this error number. at time/date 22:16:12 13/11/2003
agenda item:
Doing abort procedure/program close…

Thanks for your encouragement!

hi
ok, now, under setup, ftp/internet setup, connections setup
set the modem change number before connected to 5
and click on OK
try that
also, though, click on get ISP
then select and click the entry found in the left hand window box that you want to use as your dial up networking to use

The upload apparently works but nothing appears on the webpage. It is now 23.39 and I am off to bed. Thanks again. I will have another go when I can get some help from my ISP.

copy/paste what appears in the ftp log full again, and I can help shed some light on where the files are ending up in cyberspace, when you get a chance
12:40PM here, Friday !

Thanks Brian. I now have a more pressing problem. After I load the program 9.95c version BTW everything seems OK and then after receiving the first few items the data receive stops although data quality remains green. If I close the program and restart it works for a short while then stops. As a test I ran the Davis software for an hour and it functions normally. I therefore suspect that I have indavertantly altered a setting that has caused this. I even unintsalled the software and downloaded it again and reinstalled in an attempt to get rid of the settings and start afresh. The previous settings were all retained! I am beginning to think that superb though the program is with its almost infinite flexibility this in itself is the Achilles heel because it is so easy to get something wrong. Thanks for any suggestions you may make.

What does it say across the top of the program?
if it says client, com port disconected, then go to setup, ftp/internet setup, client/server, and turn off the client switch, and then restart the program
uninstalling does not loose settings unless delete 2 settings files:
wdisplay.ini from c:\windows or c:\winnt
and
wdisplayftp.ini from the registry, using regedit.exe
(see here for how to do that:
http://www.weather-display.com/exportregistry.html)
a back up of the registry settings you can also do easily wih WD by action, back up registry, then click on back up now, and its saved as wdisplayftp.reg

Thanks again Brian. It works perfectly now.