cloudy cloudy

Author Topic: 155 mph wind + Landing Airbus320 = Whoa!  (Read 12230 times)

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
Re: 155 mph wind + Landing Airbus320 = Whoa!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 03:14:14 PM »
so how did 55 kts (60mph or so) get turned into 155mph,LOL

Sounded pretty exciting to me, but it was a mistake by the Associated Press that was picked up by a lot of other media "(This version CORRECTS Corrects that plane was traveling at 155 mph; that was not the speed of the wind.)"

Offline NorCal Dan

• Dan - KJ6RGX
  • Davis Vue/Win10
  • Ocean Park, WA.
    • Traveling RV Weather
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 04:08:12 PM »
Wind from 290º gusting 55 knots (102 km/h). Active runway 23, that's a right 60º crosswind. Hamburg has a second runway, 33, that should have given a 40º crosswind component. In fact, the final landing was on that runway. So I think there is a bad ATC judgement, knowing there was a better landing option.

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw the video.  All decisions are the responsibility of the pilot.  He should have known the crosswind component was beyond his aircrafts specifications and asked ATC for a more friendly runway. Amazing video and still photo's.       

Dan makes a mental note not to fly that airline.

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 05:57:44 PM »
I'm curious about when he decided to abort the landing. The reports make it sound like it was after he'd touched the wing down, and if that's true I'm surprised he didn't abort it earlier when he still had more altitude but was flying significantly out of line with the runway.

Offline broadstairs

• Stuart
  • Broadstairs, Kent, UK
    • Broadstairs
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 06:00:31 PM »
An old saying " There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots " and I think this guy was very very lucky not to be in the last category!

Stuart

Offline aviva

• What is the speed of dark?
  • West Paris region, France
    • Live Weather
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 06:05:30 PM »
An old saying " There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots " and I think this guy was very very lucky not to be in the last category!

Stuart
Not to mention the passengers!  :wink: 8) #-o.

Offline TokKiwi

• Techno Dad
  • Mech Engineer and Hobbyist
  • Tokoroa, Sth Waikato, New Zealand
    • Tokoroa North Weather
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 07:05:48 PM »
Breitling - thanks for the details! There must also have been other airports with better conditions in the region as well, like a better aligned runway to that strong wind.  Thanks for the pics too.
Dad's have hobbies because they are children's rugby, football and Committee Fathers!!

Offline Dave.B

• Kingsteignton, Devon, UK
    • Kingsteignton Weather.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 10:22:24 PM »
http://www.airbus.com/store/mm_repository/safety_library_items/att00007639/media_object_file_FLT_OPS-LAND-SEQ05.pdf
Page 2, Table 1 gives A320 crosswind landing constraints straight from the horse's mouth. They may even have been down to Medium Reported Braking Action in this case. Lufthansa's SOPs may be slightly different.
Still, if you are on a stable approach, within acceptable crosswind constraints all the way down to decision height, and then you get a 40-50 kt crosswind gust out of nowhere, this will happen.

Exceptional piloting skills saved a nasty situation here.

Offline looney2ns

• Fearless Weather Dog-Loves to watch Lightning.
  • Near Evansville Indiana USA
    • Newburgh Weather
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 02:33:42 AM »
The following is a commentary on this subject from my brother-in-law who flew F-4's and F16's in the US Air Force for 22 years.

Quote:
The verbal description is not what really happened.  The pilot was holding a severe crab to maintain runway alignment (That’s the approved technique in an Airbus, just like in the F-4.), then kicked it out just before touchdown (again, the approved technique) to straighten out the landing gear.  Poorly executed, done mechanically.  Instead of blending in aileron to keep the right wing down as he slipped in left rudder to align the fuselage, he did a “Wham, bam” flight control swap and timed it poorly.  Result?  Insufficient left aileron, roll to the left, lateral movement to the left, and unnecessary damage. Poor job.
/Quote

Offline Breitling

• Luis
  • NW Spain
    • Meteo Aerolugo
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 08:19:58 AM »
Poorly executed, done mechanically.... Poor job.

I agree. The transition from crab angle to touchdown has to be a quick cross-control movement. Right aileron to keep the right wing down as much as 5 degrees. At the same time left rudder to align the runway. At the same time flare to rise the nose. The result is a right main landing gear touchdown at first, followed by the left one and then the nose gear, a much more stable maneouvre in such conditions.