Direct USB support for Davis

I am looking forward to having WD utilize the direct USB feed from Davis without having to switch the logger back to a com port interface.

Thank you.

Maybe you could ask Davis to be more supportive of third party software developers?

I would be happy to. Can you elaborate. Is there something specific needed from them?

Hi
the problem there is, there is no information available, that I know of, of how to use the direct USB mode
(e.g. if Davis were supportive , they would have contacted 3rd party software developers about the up coming change and how to use it, etc (they did not even acknowledge an email I sent to them that I have support for the IP data logger working))

Are you sure that this is directly to do with Davis? I was under the impression - maybe wrongly - that all Davis were doing was to use the USBExpress mode of the SiLabs USB chipset - eg see:

http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/USB/en/USBXpress.htm

Certainly WL580 installs a driver called Silicon Labs USBExpress Device (ie in addition to the CP210x virtual COM port driver) and I don’t remember seeing this in previous WL versions.

I think you need to find a better contact at Davis. If you’re just emailing the generic support email address then often this will just be opened by a front-line support staffer who may not be in a position to answer directly. The programmer(s?) are notoriously difficult to reach so I’m sure it’s nothing personal. Every so often the TechRef document gets updated and then all the latest information is available again, but this only seems to happen every 1-2 years. But there are other contact options.

the last time I had anything to do with Davis was a few years ago

Yes I just used the contact email from the web page.
In any case, the whole way they have done things with WL 5.8 and the new IP data logger has been like to exclude and ignore 3rd party software…even though 3rd party software must bring them more sales

You might want to email Brett ([email protected]) he is listed as their tech support manager. It might be worth giving him a call (510) 732 - 9229. I would think for the work you do they should provide you with a contact and not a generic email.

I heard back from Brett, I sent an email about could they provide detailed info on how to use the USBexpress

he just posted the link to the Silabbs developement kit already posted in this link…so no more help directly from Davis
some example code would have been nice
oh well, its gona be a bit of a learning curve
and the problem is, I do not have a usb data logger

Personally Brian, I don’t see the point of spending your time on it. The serial access works for both serial and USB data loggers. For the many hours you will spend on this feature, what you will end up with is essentially the same functionality you have now: your program will be able to talk to the data logger. Just my humble opinion.

IMHO the problem is that once the logger has been used with WL, which sets it to use USBExpress (which I suspect most users will do first when they buy it), that locks out WD. OK, we know it can be reset, but WD not working immediately will turn off many potential customers.

yes, that is the valid point that niko has made
and that is reason I did want to pursue it (nothing is every easy!)

I am one of the new owners of a system who has run 5.8.0. and now cannot work out how to go back to the com port interface(for USB) - any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated